I took up running about a month and a half ago and a couple weeks after my legs started hurting. The right one hurts significantly more than the left. It hurts on the inner side of my lower leg, right below where my calf meets my shin, about 5 inches directly above my ankle bone. It feels like a bad bruise when I press on it with my fingers. It bothers me when I run and I can still feel it the day after, even if I don't run that day. I've tried resting for a few days and it goes away but it always comes back when I start to run again. I don't run that much either, probably only about 5-6 miles per week (1-1.5 miles 4-5 times a week) because I do other forms of cardio too. Can you have shin splints if the pain isn't even on the shins?

Yes you have shin splints. You don't always have pain right on the shin. Shin splints are when the muscle starts pulling away from your tibia, so you can have soreness on or around your shin, even into your calf. You need to not run as much and not as hard, slowly building your way up to the level you want to be at. Try running for a bit, then walking and slowly build your way up to continuous running.