I recently read an article that said more and more young toddlers and children die from unintentional injuries in the home. I have two kids under two, and I heard that two is the age at which these unintentional deaths peak. It freaked me out! So, what can we do to prevent this from happening?

The best place to start would be with your common sense, in my humble opinion. If you leave your cleaning materials out in a cupboard where your kids can get to it, you are just asking for trouble. If you leave electrical outlets uncovered, you are also not being a very responsible parent. Most of all, you need to know what your kids are up to at all times, and not leave them unattended, because with young kids, everything can turn into a danger. I am not talking about being a "helicopter parent" but a parent's watchful eye is so important at this young age. As a mom yourself, I am sure that you know all that already though!

A friend of my sister's died in a similar way, when we were all kids. She must have been three years old, and she fell out of an open window on the fifth floor - in fact, she may have simply climbed out. I think that "Better Safe Than Sorry" is not a bad motto when it comes to kids. I totally agree that we should watch them at all times, until they are old enough to really understand the meaning of danger. Having said that, accidents can still happen and just because something goes wrong, that doesn't necessarily make you a bad parent.