Hello, I am 39 years old and my kids are 9 and 7 years of age. I know that they are still young fro explanation about the drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, sex, but still, I feel everyday that those moments are not far and knowing the situation today, I have to be prepared. Can you tell me how to talk to my kids about using drugs?

You are right. It is still a bit early, but you have to be prepared, you won’t even notice and they will already be teenagers. Kids usually want to try different things because of curiosity, because they seek attention and many other reasons. Perhaps it is not that early to try to tell them about the negative influence of the nicotine on the body. And maybe it is early for other things, and maybe not. If they start to learn and accept some facts now, it will be easier to say no to some things when the time comes.

It is not to early to discuss drugs and the like with your kids. Are you aware of the creeps that approach our children on the play ground, or when they are outside playing with their friends?
There are predators out there just waiting to be the first one to introduce our kids to drugs.
You don't have to get all detailed with them, they are rather young, but i am sure there is a way that you can talk to them with out scareing them.

If they know of stranger danger, half the problem is solved.
Children are taking drugs at 8 and 9 years old these days.
You sound like a real good mom. Don't be afraid to have a little talk with them now. Do it sort of on the down low. Just sort of casually mention it and see what their feedback is, then elaborate from there.

My daughter started smoking pot when she was 12, i did not know. Tho i had "the talk" with her before that. She ran with the wrong crowd. Today, she sits in jail. She is a heroin addict.

Do everything you can do to get in the way, start now.

i am a producer on a national tv talk show adn i am working on a segment about how to talk to your kids about drugs- especially when you wre a partier back in the day. If anyone is interested in participating adn letting your story be heard please email me at Lauree.Dash AT cbs.com
Thanks!!!