Hey everyone.

I have one question for everyone who have experience with pills, drugs, medicines, etc. My good friend is using AFIB for a very long time. She is using Warfarin as well. She never had any big issues with it but now, her boyfriend and she are planning to go on a very long road trip. And she is planning to drive a car.

I was reading a little bit about this and according to some experiences it is not that safe to drive while you are on AFIB and on Warfarin.

Can you tell me is it safe?

Tnx

Good day there.

I am glad that you have asked this question. Look, there are several complications that can occur in this situation, while you are driving with AFIB and Warfarin. AF can actually increase the risk of a stroke and it becomes very important as a risk factor for stroke are increasing with the age. I am really surprised because her doctor didn’t told this to her.

Other thing is that AFIB can also precipitate acute heart failure. When it comes to the complications you need to know that there may be implications for the patients to drive. So, you really should check this with your doctor.

Actually, you need to tell her this.

Hi MakeMeCoffe,

There is a myth that says that you cannot drive if you have AFIB. It's just a myth. You can drive as long as you don't have any symptoms which would make your driving dangerous, like, for example, if you are fainting, than you definitely shouldn't be driving a car. When it comes to private cars, you wouldn't be allowed to drive if you are prone to fainting.

Doctors might suggest to people with heart problems to stop driving, but it's for precaution, nobody can really forbid you to drive. But in case your friend has any bad symptoms, I'd suggest her not to drive.

Hi everyone,

I know of a study that was made in Quebec regarding this matter and it ended with a conclusion that warfarin therapy does not appear to increase the risk of motor vehicle accidents in elderly drivers.

I believe that this study can be trusted, and I think that Health n Joy is right about what she wrote. Your friend can easily see for herself if she is capable of driving or not. It's not just her life in question, but the lives of anyone else on the road. If she faints sometimes, then driving is definitely not something that she should do.

Hello everyone. I can talk for ages about this lol. It is not true. You can drive while you are on AFIB and while you are using Warfarin. How do I know this? Easy, because I am using them for ages. And trust me, I am traveling a lot, from a country to a country and so far nothing has happened to me at all. Like someone already told you, it is just a myth. You can drive without having any fear but it would be nice to consult your doctor about this before you take a long, long trip. Have a nice day.

Hi everyone,

Well, the main thing why doctors are telling their patients to stop driving if they have AFIB and are using warfarin is because they are prone to having a heart attack, or a stroke. 

You see, you don't hear about a case very often where somebody had a stroke while driving which cost him his life and he maybe took some other lives with him as well. This is because it happens extremely rarely. People who have symptoms which show them that they cannot drive are the people who don't drive. They don't want to risk theirs nor anyone else's life.

Hi everyone,

I have to agree with Guest on this one. You can definitely drive when you have AFIB and if you are using warfarin, this is, of course, if you don't have any serious symptoms.

Well, your doctor can probably tell you if you should drive or not, but you can really see this by yourself. Even healthy people happen to have heart attacks for reasons which doctors can't explain, this fact makes you equal in traffic.

My point is that you should be able to drive with AFIB and while taking warfarin (unless you are a bad driver besides these things).

Hey everyone. If you don’t have any symptoms that is a good sign. If you don’t have any bad symptoms, that can restrict you from driving. Don’t worry, driving with AFIB and on warfarin can have some complications, but those complications usually can happen if you have some side – effects while you are using this medication. In any other cases, you really don’t need to be worried at all. Just to be sure, contact your doctor for any other question. If your friend knows that she can drive than she can drive without any problems. And of course, she will have a nice trip.