My husband went to the doctor recently due to having a bad headache for a couple of weeks and a scan revealed he had had some kind of mild stroke.

His only symptoms were the headache and a couple of fingers that occasionally stiffened up.

He only ever had mildly increased cholesterol and is in his early 40s. The worst part now is that while the doctor sends him places to be seen with an urgent stamp on the letter, the specialists and the hospital he went to both basically said they were too busy and he had to wait a month to get one of the tests needed done by someone who was not even a specialist but only someone who had an "interest" in the area.

We have now changed doctors and go to the new doctor tomorrow but it is scary not knowing what is going on and that we are having to wait to get even basic tests done to see why this might have happened. The only certain thing is that there is a family history of stroke.

Since my own father died of a massive stroke, I am absolutely sick with worry. We also have two little children and a baby on the way.  

he really has no symptoms other than occasional numbness. we do not even know when this happened.

the hospital gave him cholesterol medicine and aspirin so I guess at least he is getting that.

But I am so worried, I just feel like crying all the time and I know this is not helping him. I am making sure that we eat as healthy as possible, we have been given no information at all about what to do and that is a week after he went to the doctor.

Hi Hey,

You need this other doctor.  Time is of the essence when you are dealing with a stroke.  The quicker any injuries can be treated the less the severity of the damage. 

There are two kinds of strokes: hemorrhagic (a bleed) or ischemic (a blockage).  There is also the TIA, a mini-stroke, which clears quickly.  From your description, the doctors seem to feel that it was an ischemic attack, due to the cholesterol meds and aspirin.

If anything changes, maybe another headache, blurred vision, loss of sensation, or motor function, get him to an ER or call the ambulance ASAP.

Good luck.

Thank you for replying. The headache has not actually gone away, it is just at varying levels. They have only prescribed headache tablets for that and do not seem concerned about it. We are just hanging out for tomorrow's doctors appointment and will be pushing for all the tests to be done and a specialist seen asap. We need to know what is going on, we just have been given no information which is only making us panic. The only test done so far is on the blood flow in the neck and still awaiting those results.

He only really gets the odd stiffness in fingers and toes after taking the new medication. Other than that he feels normal. We have already made diet changes but we are not even sure if he should be exercising, they just told him to take it easy. No one has even mentioned getting an MRI and all this is just so frustrating that we are being sent to places who do not appear to take it seriously.

I just feel so scared something could happen anyday. Maybe we should just go to the next ER which is an hour away but does have a specialist department.

Until you find out more, I'd suggest taking it easy.  Diet changes are not going to have an immediate impact.

Hopefully this other doctor will be more "pushy."  I just can't imagine what this hospital/current doctor you went to are hoping to do for your husband.  They are supposed to be advocates for him.  At the least, if they have insufficient resources, they should have advised you to go to another hospital for testing, including forwarding all relevant information and making travel arrangements if necessary.

I know, the hospital told him to go back to his doctor and get referrals to do the testing. One of those tests could not even be done for another month!!! Seems like since he was not showing any actual symptoms they were not taking anything urgently. The doctor does not seem to be prepared to ring up anyone and demand he be seen so we have to go elsewhere. I have thought about just going to the ER of the hospital that has specialists there, just so he is in the system. I think the not knowing is causing more stress though, and the waiting.

You said he had a "scan."  I'm assuming a CAT scan.  That alone should have brought a response.

I can't speculate any more on this.  It's bizarre.

Please let us know how things go with the other doctors.  Good luck.

Yes he was given a cat scan that showed up something on one side of brain that indicated he had had some kind of stroke.

Yes, will do, crossing fingers the next doctor is going to get things done.