I have always done a 5-minute warm-up walk. Recently someone at the gym told me it's completely unnecessary at my athletic level, and to quit wasting my time being cautious about something I don't need to worry about.

So I wondered, of course, if he mayn't be right.

About a minute or so of stretching prior to my running or cycling.

Stretching cold muscles can do more harm then good. A 5 minute walk is a great way to warm up. I usually start slow the first mile. Actually I start very slowly then pick it up to slow

I walk about 200meters and then jog my first mile. Sometimes I skip the jog, though, and go right into the run.

Shelly

Jog at first for about a mile to loosen up, then break into my run.

I just started in the last few weeks doing a half mile warmup before my runs. Feel much better because if I do not feel real good I just back off.

I put that I stretch first, but I never stretch cold.

I walk for about a minute down to the end of the street where there is a light post. Then I stretch my calves out really well.

That and stretching during the day after long periods of sitting has kept my plantar fasciitis away. :fubby:

Same for me too. I didn't used to do it that way but my first mile split sucks so bad that I've decided to call it my warm up mile and slow down just a little. Works well for me.

I live on top of a hill so I almost always walk down to the botton to start my runs. This helps to loosen up my legs and gives me a couple of minutes to get mentally prepared. Since I have done this my first miles are become quicker than before.

Laurie, I can't vote, b/c I do all of the first 3 on your list!

Most of the time I walk a bit before my run. It's more of a mental preparing tho.

i do a very mild stretching routine, walk a hundred yards or so and then start running. First mile is almost always the slowest one of all.

I use to walk for two mins. Now I just jog for a short period to make sure everything is still working and go.

I do some stretching etc and then a slow jog for about 2 minutes and then I pick up the pace to whatever pace matches my distance.