I ask because lately every night is a battle to get them to spend 5 minutes brushing their teeth.

:argh:

I sometimes have to pin her arms down with my legs to brush her teeth. :( I know, I am a terrible parent.

Been there and done that!!!

THAT is your problem! No kid will spend 5 minutes on their teeth!
Seriously, though, I have to remind my son every single day. It's painful but it has to be done.

This is what a parenting mag recommended:

Play a section of a song they like--(I think it's supposed to be about 2 minutes in length) or use a sand timer.

*Parental note: neither of these things worked.

Mine are 14 and 17 and I still get on them about it. :? :x

I have mine use a timer so she knows how long she's supposed to be brushing. She spends most of that time making faces at herself in the mirror.

I didn't mean 5 minutes of actual lbrushing. We use an egg timer to show them how long. It is the battle to get them in there and to do it correctly. I stand there and watch them make faces and suck on the toothbrush and wave it around and talk and play and you name it. What should take us about 3 - 4 minutes takes 10 due to all the arguing.

Has she started flipping herself off yet? :teehee:

JR brushes his eery day only being asked once. He doesnt do a good job, though, so every other day, I do it for him. 8)

When they have to get a tooth pulled then they *might* start brushing correctly (of course, this didn't work too well with my 6 yr old). :|

they have tooth brushes that shut off after 2 minutes, course it doesn't take them long to figure out that they can turn it off before it does automatically. :?

Did you tie the end of a string around the tooth with the other end around the doorknob? That's not going to work.

Instead, tie that other end to your car's bumper - that will command their attention!

It's a battle here too. We just switched toothpaste back to the bubble gum flavor and it's not as big a battle. She was using Rembrandt mint for canker sores.

Now that the older ones are in junior high, there aren't arguments. The youngest finds life too busy to include teeth brushing but doesn't argue much either.