Hello. I have a dog and I take really good care of his health. He is a healthy, cheerful little dog even though his health condition was terrible when I adopted him. He had rashes all over his body, flea bites were visible, dental health more than awful… Nobody waned to deal with it. I took him even though I wasn’t hoping things are going to get well so soon. Now everything is ok, no rashes, no flea bites. Yesterday I took him to the vet to have his teeth cleaned. Since that’s done, now all I need to do is to clean his teeth regularly at home. Can you tell me what is a proper way to do that?

A proper way is to find a toothbrush that is medium soft cause you don’t want to hurt your dog’s gum.

You will also need a toothpaste. Both of these need to be specially made for dogs, you can’t use the ones made for humans. Especially toothpaste, it contains fluorine and that can be poisonous for dogs if they swallow it.

Sometimes dogs are reluctant when it comes to teeth cleaning, but all you need to do is to make him associate teeth cleaning with… I don’t know, maybe a walk right after the cleaning is done. Or receiving some treat.

It’s important for him to perceive it as a fun action.

Yes, Dalmatian_lover, you must make a fun activity from teeth cleaning. Your dog must perceive this action as something he will be rewarded for.

You got recommendation for choosing toothbrush and toothpaste for your puppy, so I will only add that you can take him to your vet every 9-12 months for additional teeth cleaning. Of course, if you brush his teeth regularly at home, his oral hygiene will be almost perfect, but this is just in case.

One more thing about toothpastes as you will find many brands from various manufacturers. If you are unsure which one to buy, let your dog decide. Just try several flavors and see what he will like the best.

Hey. It is very simple. Once you learn this, you will know exactly what you are doing. First, you need to find extremely good toothbrush and toothpaste for your dog. It is not hard. If you are beginner at this, I suggest you to try with soft toothbrush. Go slowly, because if you try to clean your dog’s teeth aggressively, he will refuse it. You maybe don’t believe, but this is actually a technique that you need to develop. So, place the brush at 45 degree ankle to the teeth and clean in circular, but very small motions. If your dog resist at the first, don’t force him. Next day will be much easier. 

Since you are cleaning your dog’s teeth regular, I believe that you have good toothbrush and good toothpaste as well. I believe that you do know what you are doing as well, but you need more instructions or advice. Here we go. Your dog, like all other dogs, probably find the sensation around his mouth. Maybe he is nervous, but it will pass as well. You have to make tooth brushing very pleasant for your dog, if you take it slow, in small steps. This is one way that will make your dog reflexed. Brushing your dog’s teeth with your fingers is just fine as well. 

I don’t think that a dog’s teeth need to be cleaned at home. I have a 7 year old Siberian husky and his dental health is great. I took him to the vet to have his teeth cleaned twice. I never clean them at home. I don’t even have a toothbrush or a toothpaste for dogs.
What I do is cook bones for him. I usually leave him in my yard so he doesn’t make a mess inside the house and by the time he finishes eating his bones his teeth are perfectly clean.
So, no need to clean them with a brush, dogs clean them with bones, naturally.

Not so sure about that. I mean yes, chewing bones and other sorts of toys specially made for teeth cleaning is fine. But that can’t be enough. You must use a toothpaste and a brush from time to time.

I clean my dog’s teeth regularly at home and I give him bones once in a week + chewing toys and treats that help in preventing plaque. And the situation is still not ideal. It could be better.

I plan to take him to deep teeth cleaning at a near vet clinic.

My previous dog had a lot of health problems because of his teeth, so I am not gonna let that happen to this one.