Hello.:))) I have finally resolved all the health related issues of my dog. I feel peaceful now. The rash he had around his belly has disappeared. His immune system is getting better and the only thing I forgot to do is to take him to the vet to have his teeth checked. I believe his teeth are ok but I want to hear that from the vet. I started brushing his teeth recently, but since I didn’t have a proper toothbrush nor paste for dogs, I started using human toothbrush and paste. I read somewhere that I’m not supposed to do that, so can you tell me how to select a proper toothbrush and toothpaste for him?

You should definitely not use human toothbrush let alone human toothpaste. It can harm your dog. Did you know that human toothpastes contain fluoride. This ingredient is known to be toxic for dogs. You need to go to the local pet shop and ask for a toothpaste for dogs.

You can even make your own natural dog toothpaste at home. Just get a mixing bowl and dissolve one bouillon cube in the water. When that is done, add some baking soda to the bouillon and stir. It would be the best if you could add some cinnamon too. It’s just as good as those toothpastes you can find in pet shops.

Hello. Like you could read, no human toothpaste is allowed, and now, you know the reasons. I have to admit that I was not cleaning my dog’s teeth for three years I think, and this is just long, long time. But, forgive me, I was a student and I was thinking that having dog is something that is really easy, that this is not such a big commitment. When I am buying toothpaste for my dog, usually I am buying the special one, with natural ingredients. I am brushing my dog’s teeth three times a day. But, sometimes, I just brush his teeth with baking soda. It is really helpful, and my dog’s teeth are healthy and clean. This is good substitute for toothpaste. 

Good thing you asked us for help. You could have done much harm to your dog. Human toothpaste can be very dangerous and hazardous for our pets. Don’t waste your time, go into pet shop and buy specialized toothpaste for your dog.

I cannot give you an advice which one to choose, as you must let your dog decide. The flavor is of the utmost importance. Some pastes are salty and others are broth flavored. When you introduce the paste to your dog you will see which one he will like the best.

As for brands, you can always ask the shopkeeper for recommendation.

No way! Forget about the human toothpaste :/ I had the same problem when I started to take care about my Boo. I was thinking that human toothpaste can not be wrong choice, so I was using it for a while :/ Bad choice! Just for the record. I didn’t have experience with dogs back then, so I asked for advice in here. After this, I bought three different toothpastes and I let my Boo chose the best flavor for him. Now, I am using the same toothpaste for two months now and I am using soft toothbrush. So far, I am satisfied with it. 

As for the brush, just choose the one that you’re comfortable using. My recommendation is those plastic brushes that fit on your finger. You can find them in pet shops along with some special dental sponges.

If your dog doesn’t like these products, you might as well wrap a piece of gauze around your finger instead.

And when it comes to the paste, you can also buy it in some pet shop or from your vet.

There are so many flavors ( liver, mint, chicken, peanut butter etc.).  See for yourself which flavor fits your dog the best. My choice is definitely peanut butter.

Sorry, I didn’t see that you asked for the help for choosing both the toothbrush and toothpaste. Silly me, it is logical that person who is going to start brushing his/her dog’s teeth needs both the brush and the paste. Of course, toothbrush is very important as by brushing you give your dog healthier gums and cleaner teeth.

When it comes to dog’s toothbrush, I personally use bigger brush as my dogs are all adults and bigger in size. If you have small dog, buy him a smaller and softer brush. If you have full confidence in your dog, you could use that finger brush, like rubylock suggested (beware of biting :) ).

Such a good think that you asked about advice, because brushing your dog’s teeth is very important part of oral, overall care. I mean, keeping your dog’s breath fresh every day is just one of the good reason to brush your dog’s teeth regularly. Cleaning your dog’s teeth can also boost health and happiness.  So, you really need to try hard to find the proper toothbrush and toothpaste. I am using that toothbrush that has natural ingredients and some herbal ingredients as well, and about the flavor, I let my dog to choose it :) Believe me, that was the best option. I don’t have problem brushing his teeth at all. 

Just keep in mind that the toothbrush can’t be too hard or else it will hurt your dog’s gum. When I started cleaning my dog’s teeth I though their gum is probably much less sensitive than ours. Turns out I was wrong. I bought him a toothbrush that was a little softer than mine ( I use medium-hard brush cause my gum is not at all sensitive). After his second teeth cleaning I noticed some ulcers in his mount. I decided to buy a softer brush and after a couple of weeks, everything went back to normal. There were no ulcers. So pay attention to the brush.