Good day there. So, I have a problem, because I am totally new in this dog world, and I don’t know how to treat my bf’s dog right. I am learning so many things, but it is hard to learn it so soon. I have a new problem – I really don’t know how to clean dog’s teeth? How to choose right brush, right paste? I am so confused. I went to the pet shop and I was surprised with possible choices. I just don’t know what is the best for my Boo.

Let me know more about this, because I don’t want to ask my BF. Lol :)

Hey. This dog looks so vulnerable, I really would be scared to harm him with brush lol. Anyway, it is really nice, because I can see that you are trying. We are here to help you, don’t worry. It is not hard to choose a brush. Actually, it is really easy. Don’t worry. Now, brushing your dog’s teeth is not just to fresh his breath. No. It is very important part of oral care and good oral care is really important for your dog's health. So, choose a tool that you are really comfortable to use.  I use small, plastic brush for my dog, and it has special sponge. Tooth paste is something that you need to choose with your vet. When you brush your dog’s teeth, you need to take it slow, take small steps, try to make tooth brushing really pleasant for your dog. 

When it comes to the paste, any dog toothpaste will do the work. Just don’t ever use a human toothpaste for cleaning your dog’s teeth, because it contains fluorine, and that can be toxic for dogs.

Choosing a brush is a little more complicated. You want to choose a brush that is soft enough not to harm his palate, but also hard enough to clean his teeth properly. Also you need to choose appropriate size of the brush. Smaller breeds need smaller brushes, you can’t use the same brush for a Labrador and a Chihuahua.

If you really need to use a human brush, at least use the softer one, for children.

The thing you need to know is that while the humans spit out the paste after washing the teeth, the dogs just simply swallow it.

So it’s not true that you can use whatever dog paste you want, you need to make sure you’re using a quality product that won’t harm you dog’s health in any way. 

And as for the process of cleaning itself, it should be casual when your dog is relaxed. You don’t want him to panic.

Dogs tend to not like teeth cleaning. You should try to make a nice habit out of it, you can give him his favorite toy every time after you’re done with cleaning.

I agree with Mia completely. You need to „explain“ him that teeth brushing is something good for him with simple reward system (either through playing with favorite toy or taking him in the walk).
Always use toothbrush for dogs and paste recommended by your vet. You do not need to take any chances and experiment with it. The brush and paste aren’t too expensive and oral care of your dog is the most important.
Be prepared to brush his teeth only from the front for the first 10-15 days until your dog become confortable with it (repeat this action two or three times per day). Only then you can open his mouth and brush his teeth completely.

Hello. I had doubt about this as well when I got my first dog. Because I didn’t know what to do, I decide to visit vet and ask him. He really helped me choose toothpaste, and he even gave me advice how to choose good toothbrush. I use soft toothbrush for my dog, because he is really sensitive and I really don’t want to hurt him. I don’t want to experiment with this, so I am using this one always. Experimenting is not definitely a good thing, especially if you didn’t consult your vet about this issue. It is not easy to choose this, trust me. 

Well, I went to see some other vet today, it is not vet of my boyfriend’s dog, but since he is on the road trip, I didn’t know. He was really unpleasant, he almost yelled at me telling me that I should buy a toothpaste and toothbrush for him a long time ago. I tried to explain situation, but nothing. I hate when vets are nervous :/ I went to the pet shop and I bought soft toothbrush and some toothpaste with some minerals in it. Some girl told me that this is the right choice. But, I am scared to try it, because I am scared that I will make a mistake.

Can you tell me is this a good toothpaste?  

I HATE when that happens. Since I have had a dog for almost 10 years now, I have so much experience with the vets. Unfortunately, many of those experiences are negative . It is so hard to find a good vet that is both specialized for dogs and has a normal attitude.There’s this vet that just started working in the clinic I usually visit. He is so rude, I always have the need to punch him in the face when he starts ‘’advising’’ me how to take care of my dog. 

As for your choice, soft brush is ok, it will do the work. Not so sure about those minerals though.