I was riding home today from work and about 4 miles into the ride I was all jittery, hungry and cold (it was probably 80°F at the time). I stopped and got a bag of carrots and celery from my panniers and at that while I rode home and that seemed to help a little.

Is this a blood sugar issue?

My diet for the day up to that point was...

1 breakfast burrito
2 bananas
2 c. milk
2 T. peanut butter
2 apples
1 whole wheat roll
3 trail mix type bars
2 or 3 mints

I had one running right before riding home if that helps any.

Sounds like your glucose was a little on the low side. Some fruit might have done the trick.

Add a little protein in as well.

Time for detox, no?

Is this a blood sugar issue?
:1: You can make the big fat check out to Dr. elkid or the Get Elkid Rich Quick Fund, whichever is easier.

Seeing that you needed medical advice, I immediately surfed the web and became a medical dr for the low price of 19.95. (I even got a free set of scalpels)

First of all, the notion that carrots are good for you is a vicious rumor. Quit eating those things.

Take 2 bars of chocolate and post in the morning.

my first guess would be a Yes on the low blood sugar. unless you had eaten some real complex carbs before riding home, it was most likely a low. sounds like you just had some shallow sugar in the mints.
lows feel cold, clammy and jittery allright. you might want to always have some glucose tablets on the bike or some other fast glucose (gel or gu) implanted on the bike. like on the bike. with you. on.the.bike. they can get bad enough that you will stop but then not know why the heck you are in the store and just might drink a jar of pickles in the aisle. 8O
now, get some sugar - sugar.

I can unequivocally say you have ADD.

Appetite for Destruction Disorder?
Welcome to the jungle, baby. You're gonna diiiiiiieeeee!

sounds like it could be hypoglycemia. My worst attack? was after an easy workout and a pretty average breakfast. I had my son in the daycare at the healthclub and it was pretty hot as we stepped outside. I had a craving for soda. We walked down the block to the soda machine and I had a large swig of orange soda after I put son in the car seat. Instantly I had a huge pain in my stomach and then I remember dreaming that I was driving my car down the rode asleep. I came to sweating profusely and I think I may have been seizing.....yes, the car was running...but I had it in park (thank God)...son had a scared looked on his face. I asked him if I fell asleep and he nodded. I had my blood check a few days later and the was told that they can't believe I was able to run let alone walk around at my levels. I had been training for my first marathon and was having symptoms after long runs----slurred speech, disorientation.....but I wasn't the only one that felt like that in after 22 miles in the TX heat. I had to start eating alot in little amounts to level out my sugar levels......gained a few pounds in the process.....but it was worth it. I carry a glucose tablet in my key pocket during my marathons, just in case 8)

:LOL:

Quick! get that man some ritalin!

I was too cheap to spend the $20 buck for the license and scalpels, so I'll just defer to Kattzoo and let her collect the fee as well. But I absolutely agree with her diagnosis, prognosis and treatment plan.
Obviously I'm no doctor and wouldn't have a clue, so listen to the people who know (people here and your real doctor).
PH, YOU BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

:1:
I've been hypoglycemic since childhood, you may want to get your sugar tested to see what your current level is, sounds like what it was. Have you been really ramping up your training lately?? It normally takes a bit to get your levels off balance enough for it to start causing attacks.....worth a check, since hypoglycemic shock can cause coma too!!!
Take care of yourself, son!!

Did some reading on the internet and I agree with the hypoglycemia diagnosis. I had something similar happen last Friday but it wasn't until I got home that it happened.

So, why is this happening? I'm usually chock-full of carbs. It's protein and fat (sometimes) that I'm usually lacking.