Hey everyone, I’m an owner of a pretty old bulldog, my big oldie has twelve years now. There is still a lot of life in him, we go for a walk every day and he is just fine. He doesn’t play as much as he used to though, but that’s probably just because of his age. But I noticed that he got some additional weight these days, he probably gained something like, 7 to 8 pounds. 

His diet is still the same, didn’t change in the past few years, so my point is next: Can it be that my oldie has hypothyroidism? Can it happen in his age?

Hey Mima

I’m afraid that age doesn’t have anything to do with hypothyroidism in dogs, so yes, there is a chance that your dog has it. Some of the symptoms that hypothyroidism causes are decreased activity, or to be precise, your dog will show no will for any activities and as you already said about your dog, gain weight is one of the symptoms too. But there isn’t a reason to worry, because your vet is going to do some blood tests and he will give you 2 pills to give to your dog each day. You might have to take your dog to a vet from time to time for some new blood tests, as the dose of the pills could change.

Hey there.

It is so nice to know that your dog is active, even if he is pretty much old :) I know a lot of cases, when dogs are a little bit older, they are not so active anymore.

They don’t want to walk, they just want to sleep.

Good job for you :)

About your question, any dogs can get hypothyroidism.

It doesn’t matter are they younger or older. I am sorry to tell you this. Just, in this case, there are no rules.

But, as long you control his health, I am sure that everything will be OK with him. 

Hey there.

This is very common disease in dogs.

It doesn’t matter what age is your dog, what breed is your dog, was he sick or not before.

It doesn’t matter, I am afraid.

I am glad that your dog is active, and I don’t want to scare you, but this also can be a symptom of hypothyroidism.

I remember when my cousin dog was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, he was almost 14 years old. He was active, he was eating good, sleeping well. He was much healthier than some much younger dogs.

But, he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism very soon.

There are no rules! 

Good day all.

Like other members told you, there are no rules when it comes about hypothyroidism.
But still, this disorder is common problem in middle aged and older dogs. The most common problem is when dogs are too much active, but still, this is more common in cats than in dogs.
But, as I can see, your dog is pretty much active, right?

But, according to some vets, just older dogs can be very successfully treated from hypothyroidism, so in this case, you really don’t need to be that worried.
With routine control, with regular control, your dog will be just fine.

I am sure!

Hi to everyone,

As Jay said Mima, older dogs can get hypothyroidism too. You should have asked at the very moment when you noticed that he started to lose the will that he usually has for walks. Even when you noticed that he gained some weight! I mean, it’s logical; he gains weight if he doesn’t walk or run a lot, but still, you know these things are signs of hypothyroidism. Anyway, I hope that you are going to visit your vet soon so he can do all the required blood tests. If your dog happens to have hypothyroidism, start giving him the pills he needs as soon as possible and he’s going to be just fine.

Hey everybody,

Hey Mima, first of all, don’t you worry about anything.

Even if your dog has hypothyroidism he’s going to be okay.

As they already told you in the posts above, he could have hypothyroidism but since he hadn’t had it in the first ten years of his life, it’s unlikely for him to get it now. There are some chances, it’s true, but they are pretty much small.

Be sure to check it with your vet just to be sure, so you can start treating it if it turns out that he has disorder. He could simply be acting like that because of his age, you know.