Hi, I will have hysterectomy in ten days, and I must know what to expect. A doctor told me a few things, but it doesn’t mean anything to me. I would appreciate if you would share some of your experiences with me.

Hi, my mother had hysterectomy three months ago. She had a cervical cancer diagnosed with cervical smear test. Abnormalities were detected early, and the cancer was in early stage. A doctor first recommended a hormonal therapy, but after consultation with some other gynecologists, it was decided that the best solution is hysterectomy. She didn’t have any complications, and the recovery was very successful. There are partial and total hysterectomy, and which one will you have, depends on the severity and nature of your condition. Hysterectomy is very common procedure, and it is usually done if other methods have failed. Don’t worry, most women get well after the surgery .

I just had subtotal hyst. (removed my uterus only). I dont know which hysterectomy you are opting for but I know they vary on recovery times. Be sure and check with your insurance too because my procedure was scheduled as outpatient at first. Do not do it if you are outpatient, it is too hard to manage the pain yourself the first 24 hours. The hospital however will keep you comfortable.

I had a vaginal hyst. I have three incisions in my belly area, two low and one in belly button. Really I have never felt two of them. Had very few issues except I would tell you to take prunes to the hospital and have one every couple hours after surgery. My bowel just sort of shut down after the bowel prep-not too bad but I knew I could control the pain better if I could just go. Didnt go for 5 days. Stool softners did not work but prunes were great. You must keep eating them too and keep stool very soft, hurts to push.

I am now 12 days post op and feeling pretty good. Going to work 3 hours a day to start. (I am sole prop. dont go to work at all if you dont have to). I run out of energy quickly right now so take it easy if you can. I had no spotting at all and that feels great. Used to spend 20 days with some sort of bleeding per month. Im really optimistic about the future with my flower bed ie: stump! They call it a stump if they didnt remove your cervix, flower bed sounds better to me. Still have weeks to heal but both my husband and I are sort of excited about being spontanious again.

No more anemia!! Looking forward to energy. Dont worry, no question is a stupid question so just ask anyone what ever you need to know.