Can I expect weight loss after my hysterectomy?

I found that after my hysterectomy I lost 25 lbs. I think it was mainly due in part to the fact I lost my appetite and when I did eat I found that I could only eat small portions. Also I found that my energy level was a little higher. :-)

I googled here after stepping on the scales last night to find I've lost about 13 pounds since my hysterectomy 5.5 weeks ago. Was hoping to see if weight loss is typical. I have other friends who swear they gained 20 or so lbs after hysterectomy, but they must have kept eating instead of sleeping and resting like I did.

I think my loss as of now may be attributable to appetite decrease after surgery ... really only wanted soup for a couple of weeks. Also, taking a little while for bowels to get back to normal. In all, my recovery has been good, far better than living with cramps, clots, heavy bleeding, exhaustion and mental torture of what had become all-month-long discomfort from my boobs down. Thank goodness my doc finally talked me into this. Don't believe all the online hype that makes you fear this surgery. Pick a time that's good for you and get 'er done.

:-) Thanks for finally posting something that isn't all doom and gloom!! I had just been reading about how many women claim they gained massive amounts of weight post hysterectomy and I was in a panic. It was so nice to read "guests" post where she said "don't believe the hype" THANK YOU FOR THAT! I am scheduled for a July 13th surgery and the stuff on the internet is enough to make you cancel the surgery and live with misery...

Thanks for this post...

I'm glad to hear that you are having a positive experience on the forum and I hope that you find it to be helpful posting here. It's true that there's some doom and gloom because some people have had negative experiences but I think threads like this are helpful. I'm glad that you are going through with the surgery too. Keep us posted on how it goes, okay?

I had my surgery June 4th 2009 (11 days ago and I have lost 8 1/2 pounds. I think it is mostly water weight because my feet and lower legs have not like this in forever. i think the change in the hormones is not me retain fluids as I had been. My appetite is normal but I think my stomach is shrinking. At work someone is always bringing in snacks and now that I'm home, I am just eating lighter. Eating alot is uncomfortable also since it stretches out the abdomen. No doom and gloom so far! Much less pain than I expected!

I am also glad to hear good news concerning this surgery. My uterus is the size of a 5 month pregnancy and I have had tremendous pain and bleeding. I am looking forward to some relief and hopefully weight loss. A friend said that her uterus was the size of a 4 month pregnancy and the day she had surgery she lost 20 pounds. She had a lot of fibroids.

OMG I am so glad to find this site. I just came home from the doctors and my hysterectomy is scheduled for Aug. 11 and everything I have searched has been so negative - everyone is miserable and has gained so much weight and I was sitting here crying and wondering what to do and if this is the right thing to do. I try to always look at the positive and I trust my dr. and I know this is right for me but my God I came home and was scared to death. I hope we can all stay in touch with help before, during and after our surgeries. Thanks so much for being here for me. By the the way I'm 45 and have concerns about sex. I have been divorced for 4 years and finally found a wonderful man and am so scared about the sexual part of this surgery as well. Any help on this???

Good morning Ladies
God is GOOD!!!!! ... all the time!

I am 3 weeks post op - vaginal hysterectomy - they removed my uterus and my cervix.
I feel FABULOUS!!!!!!!
I was terrified before the op .... I too, decided to google everything I could with regards to hysterectomies ... and let me tell you ..... BIG MISTAKE!!!!! Infact .... one of the student doctors at the hospital told me the following .... the stuff on Google is NOT fact based, most of it is not scientifically proven either .... if you want facts and truth .... then you should run your search from Google Scholar ... hmmmm .... interesting hey!!
Anyway ... back to my recovery .... I had my op on the 23rd of June 2009 and was discharged 2 days later. For the first few days, I experienced mild abdominal pain ( like period cramps - nothing to really cry about ), was extremely tired and my body was sore.
At about the 5th day post op .... I had nothing to complain about, other that the fact that I would get tired really quickly.

I felt great .... the bleeding was like a mild discharge, (compared to 4 years of constant bleeding prior to my op)
A little bit of aches and pains in my legs and bum (i think it was from being in bed all the time - I am actually pretty sick of my bed right now)
The only thing I could really complain about .... was BOREDOM!!!!!

3 days ago ... I started with a headache that is still persisting .... it seems to chop and change from severe to mild during the course of the day .... so I am a little curious as to what the cause is .... as I have NEVER suffered from headaches before.
I read that it could be caused by hormone changes ..... but bottom line is ..... I am not going to go onto any type of Hormone pills ..... so there are other things like .... drinking lots of water .... breathing exercises, etc. that can help with headaches.

So ladies ..... I am 30 years old, a wife and mother of 4 ..... and I am just SOOOOOOOO glad that I had this op ..... no more bleeding, no more pain, no more tumours, nothing ....... Praise God!!!!!!!

as for the weight issue ..... hmmmmm ..... I cancel every fat cell that wants to attach itself to my hips ... in the Name of Jesus .... hehehehe!!!!

Be strong ladies, and don't back ..... look up!!!!

Hi ladies, I am new here. I just had to write and tell you how possitive you all sound. I found out this last Friday that I will be having a vaginal Hyst. on August 19. I have gone from thinking it will be alright to being terrified beyond belief. I have been posting on another web sight for Hysterectomy's and everyone talks about the pain and about all the stuff you have to do to prepare ( which i don't think is a bad thing) But they just go on and on and on about things.
I am 54 years old and this Hyst. is my last resort. The weight loss you all talk about here would be a great big bonus. As things are now. I have been bloated for months now. I have gotten used to the "dunlap" I have because I can't hide it. I gained some the wieght I am packing around from a traumtic situation that i went through a few years back. In fact I am convinced that is why I have to have a Hyst. The stress set my hormones into over drive and they have just attacked me. So I am hoping because I am havng everything out and will only be on hormone replacement for 6 months that once the hormone fluctuations are gone and my system is more steady, I can once again lose weight. Even if I lost the spare, I would be a happy camper.
I am so glad I found this sight. It is way more up lifting than the other one and I actually feel like I can do this.
THANK YOU!

ladies,

Thank you all so much for this forum!

A bit of background- I am a 28 year old mother of two. I had 13 miscarriages and severe uterine issues before successfully carrying my daughter (who is mow 3) and my son (who is now 2). My periods became devastatingly horrible after my son was born, and I had an uterine ablation last November - almost exactly a year ago. It helped for a month or two, then everything went haywire again. I went into to talk to my OB yesterday, and he scheduled me for a vaginal hysterectomy for this Tuesday - giving me less than a week to get used to the idea.

Because I had such difficult pregnancies I did have a tubal ligation after Jack was born, so the loss of fertility is not a big concern. I am really surprised though at the massive amounts of emotion I am feeling about this. I guess I just feel like I am so young to need this surgery, but something has to get better and this appears to be the only option.

I was so relieved to read about the seemingly minimal amount of pain involved. I had c-sections with both my kids, and was prepared for that level of pain, but it seems that won't be the case.

Again, I really appreciate all of the positive comments on this site!

Roxy

hello, I'm having a vaginal hysterectomy in two weeks,[ around Christmas] I have been really nervous about the whole situation. but thank god I found this forum. I am starting to feel a little better now. My whole concern is #1, the weight gain, and # 2 the loss of sex drive. I have had this huge stomach for about a year now. I look like I'm at least six months pregnant. My uterus is 9 inches by 6 inches right now. Not to mention all the discomfort from being so large! I have to ask though, I will have everything removed, so will being on synthetic hormones help with weight loss or will it make matters worse? I'm not a sedentary person as I have a very physical job. Daycare! If anyone can answer my questions it will be appreciated greatly, Thank You

I just wanted to say ladies...I am 28 with no children and opted for a hysterectomy to get me out of severe, debilitating constant severe pain daily. It probably was the best decision I have ever made for ME. I became suicidal for a brief time due to the pain levels being so bad. I lashed out at everyone around because my hormones were so out of whack. I had been on continuous birth control for six years and had countless D and C's and various laporoscopies to try and remove blockages and adhesions UGH! I was absolutely tired of being tired. Tired of having surgery after surgery. Tired of not being able to have sex with my husband because of the pain. For me, I think this was my only viable option.

Everyone's situation and experience is different. I know for me, I was seriously overproducing estrogen. I started gaining tons of weight around four years prior to surgery. Now, i am 8 months post op and have dropped almost 80 pounds and feel better about myself than I have in a long long time. My personal relationships suffered because of my inability to relay what I felt to the people closest to me in my life though. I strongly urge you to not believe all the BS you read about spouses and boyfriends leaving due to the medical stuff going on. My husband decided to leave because he was not happy. He left because I pushed him away, not because I was sick. I realized that I had it in my mind that he was going to leave way before he actually did leave, which is why I began pushing him away. UGH the internet is a great but cursed place!

Look at the surgery as beginning a new life. A new life different from the constant pain. A new life different than what you are used to. Start with a positive attitude and let things flow naturally. Everything happens for a reason:)

I feel great. I look great. Im not in pain anymore. Life is good!!!!

Thank you ladies for posting positive results after a hysterectomy. I have had invasive endometriosis for 10 years (which has now gone to my bowels) and I am finally getting my surgery the summer of 2010. I am glad to see that not every person has had a negative experience. Thank you for helping me feel like I made the right choice. It is good to see that women of all ages have felt better after having one.

I am 35 year old wife with 3kids. I just got a vaginal hysterectomy.I am so pleased and losing weight.my moods are always great.where before Iwas a mess.I was so nervous about the procedure I almost canceled. Thank god I didn't.