So, I have this awful cough that I get every year starting around September and not ending until the beginning to mid spring! I have tried allergy meds like Benadryl (mostly so I can actually sleep at night) and cough suppresants and all that BS, but none of it helps. It gets so bad sometimes I cough until I vomit. And I cough up a ton of mucus! I seriously sound like an 80 year old woman who has been smoking since she could walk! About 2 years ago I finally went to the doctor about it and they told me that I had Adult Croup. The dr prescribed robitussin, but that did not help at all! And I have had this cough every year since I was about 12 or 13 and I am 19 now. I do smoke, but I was also diagnosed with asthma when I was about 12 (and yes I know, I should not be smoking, it's disgusting, etc.) I have never really had the typical asthma symptoms though and I haven't used an inhaler since then, and I really didn't use it then either. But I can not go another winter feeling like this, but I don't have the insurance or the money to see a doctor and them not be able to treat me or help at all. I just want to know if this happens to anyone else and if you have had some kind of treatment? And if possible what I can get OTC for it?? Any advice would be very much appreciated!

hey am in the same boat, i went to the hospital had bloods and xrays done and all came bk clear  i was told it was a viral infection and will go away in due course, everry year am the same once the cold months come in my cough comes back, all i can advise is lots of cough bottle and stay warm!!! 

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will have a good suggestion.

I've had the same thing for 40 years and have never been able to get help from the medical profession.

I thought it would go away when I quit smoking. I did that 30 years ago and I still have the problem.

My doctor just says it's between me and my heating system but I replaced the whole system, ductwork and all and I still have it.

The RNP at the VA said it was post nasal drip and she gave me some medicine for it that actually worked one year about 13 years ago. I asked her about it again one year when it was particularly annoying and she didn't seem to know anything about that and could find no record of giving me anything for it.

I do have a year now and then when I don't get it at all. A year ago was one of those then last year it was so bad I coughed so much one day I couldn't breath in and had to go to the doctor. He gave me some cough syrup with codein in it. It didn't help the cough but it damn near knocked me out. I didn't take a second dose

I also start hacking this time of the year. I am fine all other times of the year but as September ends it starts, and seems to last three or for months every year. And my body is healthy, no cold symptoms, no body aches etc... but when I start coughing there is no stopping me. I can't stop or politely excuse myself but start hacking. I also sound like a old smoker and my cough is so intense I get head pressure pain, my eyes water, and I come close to puking. I'm so tired of this. Help...

I get it almost like clockwork every October and it gets bad enough I have to go to the dr every time. Sometimes he will put me on antibiotics and a steroid inhaler and good script cough syrup and then I'm usually fine. I think the quickest I ever got well however was the time he gave me a prescription of steroid pills. I started feeling better like 2 days in on those. So you may talk to your dr about that idea.

Hi fellow coughers!

Just like all of you I get this chronic cough every year like clock work, from Sept to April.

I have had allergy tests all over my back. I'm allergic to absolutely nothing.

I seen a lung specialist, he said no issues with your lungs. Several x-rays taken. :(

I have been on prescription Pearl cough meds (very pretty), steroids (pills and shots), inhalers, cough medications, Z-pack, antibiotics, breathing machine and a few other things.

I'm a non-smoker. This absolutely is driving me insane!

I have the exact same thing. It's usually from Oct. Until Jan. Hope you guys feel better.

I have this SAME EXACT problem every year!!! I am so tired of nursing a cough for 4 to 6 months every year!!! It begins in October and goes until spring or almost spring. It's embarrassing! Doctors don't have a clue of what to do. I've been everywhere imaginable for help. Lord please help us!

I get a chronic cough every year starting in late sept thru mid spring. Constant post nasal drip, constantly clearing my throat, sometimes I have coughing fits. Had an allergy work up 11 years ago, waste of time. Dust mites don't disappear in the spring! Wth causes this? Non smoker, but I sound like I've smoked for years!

same here my cough started last september until now..i take medication done x-ray and all..same last year same medication my medication last year works but now it doesnt i dont know if i need other medicine or what.uggghhh

Yes your not alone. I start coughing from beginning of November all the way thru March.it's not fun at all. It doesn't matter what medicine I get from my doctor, the cough doesn't go away. Been out of work because of this annoying cough

Hello, i am experiencing exactly same for last three years. My cough lasts from start of sept to end of march every year. Have gone through all treatment but in vain. If u get the solution do tell me too.

Try singulair - you may have cough variant asthma. Singulair has many bad side effects if you stay on it for a long time, but it does help the cough to a degree.

This.

My daughter (5) starts coughing every September and doesn't stop til spring since she was 2 or 3, and I'm losing my mind trying to figure out why, but she takes Singular and Claritin and it fixes her right up. She's had both skin and blood allergy tests and everything came back negative. I'm glad she gets some relief, as she sleeps like c**p and coughs until she throws up at night, but I would really love to understand what's wrong :(

I'm going to look into cough variant asthma!

Thankyou Sir for your advice. My GP has prescribed me Aerokast 10mg for two months, Rabecid 20mg for one month and Seretide Diskus (Salmeterol/Fluticasone propionate) Inhaler for three months. I am using these for more than a week now but there is not much improvement in my cough. It still teases me. And i have checked on internet that singulair and Aerokast are more or less same. Should i still give singulair a try or persist with Aerokast for couple of months despite no improvement in cough? One more thing sir, doctors never suggest me any tests except x- ray and x-rays are always normal