Is there something i could check for that would cause me to cough so hard that it would make me have projectile vomiting?

Get checked for allergies. My allergies were once so bad, that I would cough until I vomitted. Often, I wouldn't be able to breathe afterwards, and would gasp for air. I even strained my back from coughing so hard.I had severe allergies, and allergy related asthma. Treatment from an allergist has kept it in check!

Uncontrollable coughing, especially at night, can be a symptom of a kind of asthma. I had a chronic cough for years and would frequently cough until I vomited. For years, various doctors told me that I probably had allergies and a post-nasal drip and told me to take Sudafed. I finally (in my 30s, after probably 5-7 years of this) went in for an allergy test and was found to be allergic to nothing and that I have asthma.

In my case, the asthma cough attacks are triggered by silent GERD (acid reflux - silent because I never taste acid in my throat). Doctors didn't pick up on this, even though I would tell them that the coughing attacks frequently happened after eating spicy food, fatty food, or just plain too much food (all things that aggravate GERD). Acid blockers helped, but ultimately changing my diet helped most of all -- cutting out soda and fast food. Although, it's been getting worse lately (it does with age), and I'll probably have to go back on the medication.

So ask your doctor about asthma and GERD.

I'm 32 1/2, over the last 5 years my coughing has gotten so bad that now in the morning, when I cough up all that phlem from sleeping I now throw up about 5 or 6 times. What is my problem...did you experience any of this morning stuff before finding out about your health for sure? Doctors are stupid these days....lets remember they are like you or I that go to school to get a degree to become a doctor whom may or may not know what is wrong with half of us. I've been to many doctors...they go from "well it may be bronchitis, or it may be phenumonia, or it may be this or that...been on everything that makes me even sicker, cause that is clearly not my problem.....hey docs..if I've been on everything under the sun and I'm still sick after 5 years going and now throwing up in the morning....what the heck is clearly wrong with me? Im a stay at home mother of 3, ages 4, 2, & 1...my house is clearly clean....but I keep coughing....we got rid of our doggie, I got rid of my cat of over 15 years, and dusted, cleaned vaccummed and done everything....I'm still having this issue, after steam cleaning all the carpets, and none the less half our home is floating bruce fake hard wood floors...so what is my problem? Did you have this issue in the am? EVER?

Thanks for this post. You made it awhile ago but it was helpful.

Your symptoms are exactly what I have. I used to have seasonal asthma and for the past 10 years haven't used an inhaler. Over the past year I have been coughing so bad (especially after cleaning with household products) i throw up. So many doctors have said I have postnasal drip, but I know that's not it.
I'm going to ask my doctor about asthma & GERD....It really makes so much sense.

Your post was very helpful.