Hello. I am a guy that is 26 years old and I am a smoker. I have been smoking for 3 years now. I have been coughing up brown mucus for the past four months now, and it will not stop. I am not sure if smoking is causing this. This the only symptom I have. Any ideas how to rid myself from this horrible cough?

Maybe the cigarettes are not causing this, but they are certainly worsening it. The brown mucus might be dried blood from sinus infection. You should definitely consult a doctor about this. As much as it may be hard on you, you should consider quitting smoking. That might be the best way to end the cough. Drink a lot of tea. That always helps me.

I had the same problem for about 6 months and it went away about 2 months ago, but now just started to come back at a much less rate though. My best advice is spit as much of it out as possible when you cough it up. Now for me, I would say it occurs on avg once an hour and still quite a bit in the morning.

HI I recently quited smoking about 3 months ago i still have Brown mucus i spitt up it has decrease since the last couple of months but have not went a way could anyone help me on this plus a file breath oder at time im certainly lost of the fact my doctor say its nothing but i know its much more than what he telling me. :-(

Yeah i have been smoking for 3 years aswell and i cannot stop coughing up brown flem. I know i am worried about it too, but i still havnt been to the doctor and i know i should.

Hmmmmm, maybe, just maybe you should stop smoking.

i have never smoked and for yrs i have a cough that brings up mucous sometimes real heavy it is clear but it is driving me crazy NO one can find the answer????????sometimes i get very little streaks of blood when i spit up?it has taken over my life but cant get any answers whatsoever and find that hard.at one time they put me on advair diskus which made me cough more??????please help if you can

omg i dont smoke either but for the past couple months i've been coughing up c**p everyday its usually clear but the other day there was some blood in it i think and today when i just coughed it up there was something black in it. Its so gross it always comes and i cant really swallow until i cough it all up. i haven't been to the doctors but i'm thinking i'm going to ask them about it