This post is an extension of the

Chronic sore throat and swollen lymph nodes in throat thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I have been experiencing a lump feeling in my throat now for about 3.5 years. It seems to move from side to side, but prefers my left. I have ear aches off and on as well as swollen lymphnodes.

About 2 years ago I noticed a lump in front of my left ear. I went to my ENT who thought it best to perform a biopsy. As it turned out, it was a swollen lymph node {in a very strange place}. I now have one in the same position on my right side. I have also developed a large, swollen lymph node in my left armpit.

I went to my DR a little over a year ago regarding the lump in my throat. I could not take it any more -- my throat would hurt after singing/talking {I am a teacher, as well as a singer}, even to the point I lost my voice for 2 weeks! I had even been coughing/spitting up a bit of blood. He sent me for a barium swallow and, even though it came back GERDS free, he put me on meds. I refused to take them and went to another DR.

The new DR sent me for a thyroid ultrasound which showed swollen lymph nodes {DUH!}. Blood work came back normal.

Since then, I have been to my ENT several times. He thinks it's all due to too much phlegm {I know I have a problem with this}. When I saw him last month he told me to do a sinus rinse twice a day. Although I am doing it, it has not helped at all. {I was also on antibiotics for something unrelated and now I have a huge lymph node under my chin on the left side that HURTS!}

Since October I have been struggling with unbelieveable exhaustion. {I am not depressed nor on any medications.} I am really stumped as to what is going on....

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I am hoping to get into my DR again within the next few weeks to see if anything else can be done.

Kind regards,
Patricia

My wife has been experiencing the same things. Chronic fatigue, low-grade fevers, acne break outs (which she had never had in her youth), a sore throat that has lasted for 8 months, highly irregular menstrual cycle, constipation, sore eyes, Epstein-Barr syndrome, and recently had a benign lump removed from her armpit. Her doctor is convinced it has to do with her thyroid, and she is currently at an appointment for an ultra sound.

I told her if she was left handed, she would qualify for a parking pass at the mall.

We've tried vitamins, changing diet/exercise programs, liquid silver, herbs, longer sleep periods. She tried allergy meds (Allegra, Zertec, Flonase, Naxonex, etc). So far nothing has worked. Will let you know if we find any success.

--Matt

8-| I have had the same thing for about 8 months now. It just keeps getting worse and worse. It all started after I got back from Japan. All the doctors I talk to seem to not really care about the 8 month soar throat. I guess they are not the ones having to live with it. I finally just gave up and I am dealing with it every night and every day. Sometimes it gets so bad I cannot even sleep. I wish there was an answer for this because it is very frustrating and expensive. I have been to about 6 different doctors now and no one can give me answers. Well, I guess I can always self medicate :-P

:'( Thank god, there are other people who have had this as long as I. My ENT and family MD has tested me for EVERYTHING under the sun. I was dx with Ebstein Barr nearly 3.5 years ago. It just keeps getting worse. I live on sinus meds and antibiotics, my husband thinks I am crazy. ALL, test and I mean ALL test come back clear, negative, good!!
What has any of your drs said or treated with. Would love any info.
Thanks,
Leslie

I am shocked to see that so many other people suffer from the same symtoms that I have been struggling with.
I have delt with this for over a year now. Heres my story...
It started out with a soar throat, thinking I caught it from my kids I over looked it the first few times i had it in a month, then went to the DR, was treated for strep, several times with antibiotics.
After about four months getting it off and on, i all of a sudden had a high fever 103+ ..anyways throat culture said nothing. blood test said I had mono. I struggled with that for a month or so, Then felt better
(12 months later) I still get a soar throat and swollen tonsils every week, with neck pain and ear pain on my right side, and I am so tired. My tonsils do get white dots of pus on them everytime. I recently went back to the doctor, They did a throat culture, testing for mono again (lol) strep ect.. And set me up an appointment with an ENT. I got the results of the throat culture the day of my appointment with the ENT, telling me that my throat culture was absolutley NORMAL It grew nothing. I have pus on my tonsiles they were over the size of a golfball, pertruding out the side of my neck, and My throat is NORMAL??? She said she was at a loss for word, because obviously Im not normal, and then actually called me weird..(lol)
I hate to say I skipped the ENT appointment affraid of a tonsilectomy cost, but am going to make and appointment with a all natural kind of doctor tuesday. Ill see how that goes. I Promise I will post his oppinion afterwards. I am determined to find a cause and treatment for us!!!
My name is Kristina I am 27 years old. I give you my word, all new news I get, I will relay it back here to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!! Until Then Hang in There %-)

I started feeling a lump (small) on the right side of my throat everytime I swallowed.
Afraid to go see a doctor after 6 months because of all the internet cancer sites... I paid the cash and went.
He told me it was acid reflex lol....That was over 6 months ago & $200
out..My throat still hurts it's been a year 1/2 now and seems to be getting worse???? !!!! I really need to go back and maybe get the camera down the nose???? $400 + visit ...........I hope everyone finds a way to kick it!!
Thxs :-)

I've noticed comments stating "I have the same thing". As someone with similar symptoms I just want to say that many underlying causes can have the same symptoms. That being said I have had a swollen node in my neck for so many years I cant remember when it started. I used to get strep many times a year. Now I get frequent sore throats that test negative look viral and last a long time - up to over a month. I only go for a couple of weeks in between and the node is always there. In 2005 I had a tennis ball size lump in my breast that was only fluid and had fever and night sweats. I developed swollen nodes under my arms that are still swollen although the lump is gone. They vary in size getting larger just before I get sick. All the swollen nodes are sore. About half of every month or more I am sick. I have very little energy. If I take a walk (or otherwise expend energy) the next day nodes swell more and I get sick and can barely function. I'm waiting to get insurance so I can get tests. Some of you who have insurance may want to change doctors if you're getting nowhere.

After reading the symptoms of sore throat, headaches, fatigue, lymph nodes swollen for a long time, I thought I should write in . This sounds all too familiar to me. But after going around with it for at least two years I had some dental work done I had two impacted wisdom teeth removed and found I also had two infected molars. The regular dentist did not find the problem but the endodontist did. It took time to heal from the dental work and a few months to get over the infection but I feel alot better now. It seems medicine and dentistry have gone such different routes that doctors dont really consider the possibility of infection from dental problems. Try this route if all else seems to be a dead end. The best to you.

I have had problems with a stiff neck, painful yawn, and swollen neck glands for the past 3 or 4 months, but what bothers me most is that my karaoke voice is shot to pieces. This has been the most helpful thread I've read so far and I wanted to thank everyone for the sharing of information.

I have a family history of Thyroid problems as well as some pretty jacked up molars right now. You have inspired me to go see the dentist, which I have been putting off for a very long time. If that doesn't do it, it's off to the Synthroid store. o.O

Please do not disregard the need to provide answers to these questions if you discover them, otherwise it will just be a forum full of unanswered questions. I will most definitely post back.

Ok...so I have had the same problem now as well. In May, I started to experience a swollen right gland under my jaw...thought it was a cold/bug because my mom just had gotten over something. I didnt have health insurance so I let it slide...now as of July, I still dont have health insurance and it is still here! I went to see my doctor dispite the costs and he gave me meds. I have been on them for 3 days and i feel like it is getting worse. My right side was the side that hurt...now it is my right and left and even under my tongue too. I find it hard to swollow and breathe too. I do have acid reflux and it does bother this...but the doctor told me to take the meds and call him in 10 days if it does not go away. I am 25 and scared out of my mind. I do smoke but I am quitting tomorrow. The lump is hard in my opinion but the doc said it is ok. Any suggestions?

[these are all symptoms of mold I am going to a specialist but everybody says oh you just have allergies...well I am never sick so I know it is mold because myself and son were subjected to mold for 2 years and we are always sick.

I found a way to get rid of my lumps in neck and under chin. It all started with using flonase 10 yrs. ago. My neck swelled up and I have had swelling since then until recently. I started loosing my hearing and my doc. thinks I have a tumor in my ear. I think it also could have been candida/fungus from the flonase that was living in my ears. By fate I found virgin coconut oil and started taking it. The swelling started shrinking and my hearing is coming back. I put a few drops in my ear and also use peroxide. I am taking 2 tablespoons a day and using it in cooking. I truly feel alive again. My lingual tonsil also had been swollen since the last 10 yrs. and it is almost normal size again. I have been using this for the past 2 months and it is working. VCO is God's gift for healing. If you have any questions feel free to email me at _[removed]_

as i read through this message board which stretches back to 2006, I kept reading of people with symptoms exactly like the ones I have and i kept hoping that the next message would be a recovery story but recovery stories were very few and far between...

I have had the same symptoms discribed above sore throat, irritated lymph nodes for the past several months..

My only thought is to get a wisdom tooth pulled one thats probably impacted, get a humidifier, and take some anti reflux medicine just in case. I have seen dozens of doctors who dont come up with much, blood tests are all fine.

I am not a doctor, but from the research I have been doing, antibiotics weaken the immune system when they are taken without cause, so if the doctors have ruled out a bacterial infection or if the symptoms persist for over a month chances are its not bacterial.

Good luck to everybody, be strong....

Please see my earlier post in this thread from mid 2008. I did in fact follow through with my promises... I got a root canal on Jan 5 2009 and quit smoking cold turkey 18 days ago (on valentines day).

I have noticed steady improvement regarding my throat pain since my dentist fixed my molar. I went from a constant sore throat with a marked sore spot immediately (1cm) to the right of the peak of my adams apple, to no longer sore to the touch, to no longer having a painful swallow.

I also had bloodwork done up shortly after the dental work was completed. My tests came back normal for Thyroid and various other vitamins and stuff.

Only since quitting smoking has my singing voice come back. It was rapid, over the course of a week. I believe the strained voice was unrelated to my chronic sore throat.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I have permanantly resolved my sore throat.