I have a friend who I really care about who says she does not feel anything and that she cuts herself. She showed me her arm and she has lots of cuts and stuff, like ten on each arm - and she said she cuts herself on her tummy and her legs as well. She said she likes the feel of the cuts and that she's addicted to it and whenever I tell her it's not right to do this and that it is a good idea to at least cut down a bit on the cutting, but she said she doesn't want to. She likes it.

She says she pretends to be happy in front of all her other friends and she's only told this stuff to one other person, so she trusts me quite a lot. She was also saying that she is writing her will soon and that she wouldn't mind dying - and that the only reason why she doesn't kill herself is because she's too scared to. She says that no one would care if she killed herself - they might at first - but then the'll forget and she'll be a memory. The thought of her killing herself makes a knot in my throat, even though we've only been friends for a month I still really care for her. 

I try to tell her people would care and that she shouldn't be thinking of death and wills, but she just says she doesn't care and shrugs it off. She also told me that there's constantly noise in her head, she said something like 2 songs playing, lots of thoughts and that she constantly plans everything. She also planned what sh would tell me completely when she came out and thought of every possibility.

She also told me that most days she goes home and cries, but some days she feels she is getting a bit better. It keeps varying. I really want to fix her, I don't like seeing people upset and stuff because I kinda know what she's going through as I am sometimes quite paranoid.

She seems to be very depressed, and she told me that when she talked to me she felt better, but I just don't know what to do. How can I help her, even in the smallest way. Also, she's getting a psychiatrist but she's not sure if it will help or not so I just want to help her. Anything will be great (BTW no jokes or anything because this is pretty serious...)

Honey, i dont want to talk like a physologist but i really think your friend has schizophrenia, you must persuade her to go to a physologist thats really important. I hope she will be ok, good luck

Hi Guest,

First off, treat this threat as real. You can't risk otherwise.

Let her family know if you can. This is not being a bad friend.

She needs professional help. There are hotlines that may be of some help if she can't get to the psychiatrist. Do not be afraid to call emergency services (police, ambulance) if you think she will act. It is a medical emergency.

One thing to watch out for, they suddenly appear "better." Often, that's when they've made up there mind to act.

Make sure she gets help - FAST!

This should be treated seriously, she needs to get professional help, its good that she is getting a psychiatrist as they should be able to help. You need to let her know you are there for her and she can always talk to you as some people find it easier to talk to friends than family and you may be able to spot early signs. Her family and friends need to keep an eye on her as medic-dan said if her behaviour suddenly changes and seems to be better and happier this is a bad sign as she may have decieded to do it.

I really hope she will be ok.