At school i was talking to one of my friends and then i noticed all of these cuts on her arm. When she saw i was looking at them she quickly puled her sleeve down to cover them and looked kinda embarrassed. Ive always known she is super insecure, and her sister said she used to cut when she was in middle school (she is a senior in high school now) but i had no idea she still does. I dont want to confront her because i think she would just be embarrassed and wouldnt want to talk about it but i dont want to ignore it either. What should i do? Someone please help.

I used to cut too. Cutting is very addicting and a hard habit to break. I have been clean for about 6 months now, but I still think about it a lot. It really messed me up. I suggest you talk to your friend. Let her know your there. Don't get mad if she tries to push you away, she'll come around. Talking to her sooner than later is a good idea

Thanks, yeah i think i will do that.

When someone is at the point of self harming, something is seriously wrong. I started 3 years ago when my dad died, it was my first week of highschool and I took it hard. I thought no one understood. People would offer me help but I just thought they would judge me and didn't care. When you are at the stage of hurting yourself, your mind is not right either. To inflict pain on yourself takes dedication. I stopped several months ago, I don't know how. I literally just woke up one morning and said to myself 'stop'. I had finally accepted I had a problem and asked for help. My bestfriend has schizophrenia and is addicted to cutting herself. So I know what it feels like to be on both sides. Her case may be a bit more severe then your friends as she is institutionalized on regular basis. But what helped me understand my friend, and help her was simply be there. Don't attack her, don't question her, supporting her is all you can do. Sit her down and say you don't understand, but you want to, you want her trust and you want her to let you in. Tell her you will try and help. Let her know she isn't alone. She may not realise it, she may think you will judge, but give her time. Just be there, and in a few months, she may come around, she may see you really care, and you may make a difference.

But I must warn you. Being a cutters support is difficult. They are so low right now, and being around them will not be a positive influence on you. So before you dedicate yourself to her, talk to an adult or a teacher or just another friend you trust and tell them what you're trying to do, tell them you want to support her but you need help. Because you can't do it on your own. When I was at that point, I pushed everyone away, I started to slip in school, I didn't want friends, I just didn't care. So if she is going through something similar, she will be the same, she will be difficult to say the least. Be careful. Know that she is not your responsibility and she has the capability to bring you down also. But you do care about her enough to offer yourself, all you can do is wait, be patient and stand by her side. Because she needs that right now. From experience majority of people that cut are craving for attention, I don't mean that in a judgmental way as that's what I craved. I wanted someone to hold me and tell me it would all be alright. But because I had locked myself away, I never got it and was on a never ending downwards spiral. Just pay extra close attention to her, don't act unusual, just be friendly.

I really hope I helped in some way. Young people who self harm really have a place in my heart, because I understand.

- Mia x

I'm a cutter myself and I know how embarrassing it is when someone finds out. Your friend is probably going through a really rough time. Cutting is an addiction. The longest I've ever gone without cutting is 2 weeks. People ask me what happened to my wrists all the time and I just tell them my cat scratched me or just shrug my shoulders and look away. I dont know if your friend is in the same situation, but I hate it when people get involved and try to help. Sorry I'm not very helpful but when the time is right, she'll let u know what's Aron if she feels like she needs support

Cutter huh? The most I can offer here is an alternative. Try offering her new, less dangerous yet still harmful ways so she wont totally reject you while you save her blood. Biting on yourself or maybe really hard on a stick or something close to a stick. Her teeth will ache instead of the cut-marks, she'll leave a sting on her arm as if she cut it, but it's really hard to penatrate skin via teeth. I would be found out vary easily if i cut myself, so I bit. I hurt, but no one will see because the marks [usually] vanish overnight. I hope this alternative helps wien your friend off emo-pathic ways faster, and good luck.