Guys, I have moved out from my parents three months ago. I just couldn't be there with them especially now when I have my job and I can take a really good care of myself. I believed that this is going to be a good move - finally I will be able to take care of my home, I will be able to sleep when I want, to be with my friends when I want - but no. There is a problem, of course. I started to have a panic fear of my own home! Why? Do you have any idea? 

Is that a mental disorder?

It sounds to me like you are afraid of being on your own. That is why it was fine while you were living with your parents but now when you are alone, you actually don't like it.

I don't know what could you do in order to treat this. One thing that comes to my mind is that you could get a roommate but then there goes your idea of being alone. But again you don't really want to be alone, you seem to be afraid of it so I suppose that getting a roommate would be a smart thing for you to do.

Gaia might be right, you need to think about this. Is it your home that you are afraid of or is it being alone in it? If it is being alone, that is not uncommon at all, there are a lot of people who cannot stand being on their own. It is in human blood, humans are social beings and they need to be with other humans (or cats). You can always seek professional help and psychotherapy but I doubt that you need it, if this is really your problem, I think that you should do something about it by yourself.

I really don't know am I afraid to be alone. I didn't notice this problem at first days while I was alone, but it started to happen to me and at first I didn't know what is going on. Hm...I really don't like the idea of getting a roommate because so far I don't know anyone here and it freaks me out to have someone who I don't know under the same roof. I really would like to find some help, I am not afraid to see some psychiatrist if he can help me. I am not that kind of person. I would go to the therapies, I don't care. I will do everything just to stay calm at my home, without any fears.

I have to ask you the same question - are you really sure that you are scared of your own home or are you scared of being alone? Those are two totally different things. If you are really scared of your own home, you can definitely try to get comfy and to relax in those places that make you afraid. I am sure that this will help. Also, it is very important for you to know that you don't need to push yourself super hard or anything, but try just working your way into these things at your own pace. 

Also, if you are running away from this you should stop doing this. This won't help you. Find a corner in your home that relaxes you.  

I never heard about someone who is afraid of their own home. I did hear about people who are afraid of going out of their homes, open spaces and other people but I have never heard that someone has a panic fear of their own home.

Are you 100% sure that you are not just afraid of being alone? Because I have no idea what else could this be. You are the only one who can know the answer and I can bet that you know it already but you might be too afraid to admit it to yourself because you don't like the answer.

Where do you live now, which country, which city, maybe I could be your roommate? I'm just joking, I am having the exact same problem as you are (at least I think so). I just moved to another country to study here and I am completely on my own, living on my own and I don't know anybody around here (yet). And I have to admit that I am actually scared of being in my house because it is so empty that it makes me feel empty as well. I usually just go outside and sit anywhere in public, I feel better when I do that.

This is definitely just a fear of being alone and not a fear of your own house. That doesn't make any sense and I have never heard about anyone who is suffering from the fear of their own house.

I think that the idea about getting a roommate is a good idea. However, you might want to talk to your doctor or to a psychologist in order to see if this is really just a fear of being alone, you know, just to check it out. And you don't have to rush with living with someone who you've just met, you can take it easy.

Being afraid of your own home is nothing weird. I had exactly the same situation when my wife abandoned me. I was alone in our house and I really started to have those panic attacks in my own home. I had this ugly fear of my own house and I wanted to be far away from it. First, I believed that this is because I miss her, but later I saw that this is not so true. I went to see physiologist and he told me that there is a huge possibility to have some kind of panic attack because I am not used to live alone. Anyway, I asked my brother to start to live with me and he accepted it. Since that day I am feeling much better. So having a roommate is not that bad idea either.