I got laid off from my job about 6 months ago, but still have insurance thanks to the COBRA coverage plan. However, in January I won't have the coverage anymore because the premium will be too high. So right now I'm looking at my situation and realize that NOW is the perfect time to have this surgery. Once I find a new job, it's going to be a lot harder and a whole lot more embarrassing to take off 3-6 weeks of work.

But I'm extremely scared. I've read so many horror stories on here. I saw a general surgeon a few weeks ago and there were two things that concerned me.

First, he said he wasn't sure exactly where the bleeding was coming from...the external roid or the internals. I had a Sigmoidoscopy and the IRC treatments done on my internal roids, by my referring doctor but apparently that didn't take care of the roids or the bleeding. If I do it, I'm going to tell him to remove the external roid as I personally believe just by knowing my own body that the external is probably the culprit.

Second, he said there is a small risk of incontinence. This really freaks me out! I don't want to risk having to wear a diaper for the rest of my life. I know the risk is small, but still. When I look at my roid in the mirror with a hand held mirror, that thing is right on my sphincter muscles. I have a hard time understanding how it can removed without damage to the surrounding area.

Another question I have is does it matter if it's a general surgeon or a rectal surgeon? I saw a rectal surgeon over a year ago and the guy was a man of few words and for some reason I didn't feel right about going through with it at the time. This most recent doctor I saw was a general surgeon who I was referred to by the doctor I had the IRC treatments done by. I tried to find reviews and information about the guy online, but I couldn't find much.

I need your advice. What should I do here? Like I said, this is a picture perfect time to do this if I'm going to go ahead with it.

I like your moniker!!! XD Don't we all?!!!! LOL

Back to your question, I do not believe that anyone of us on here can tell you wether you should go ahead with the surgery or not honey! That is your decision and yours alone! I feel for you with worrying about the insurance running out, BUT if you feel that this is NOT something you want to do, OR have reservations about your surgeon, you NEED to take the time to think about it. I would suggest you look up a rectal surgeon in your area! Google that particular field, and phone the hospital where they work, and ask about them! I know that sounds forward, but that is what I did when looking for a gynecologist! This is YOUR health, and you have to feel comfortable and secure in their mannerisms and their knowledge! Also know this, with ANY operation, Surgeons HAVE to tell you the "What ifs!" because if they didn't they would be liable IF that .001% happened! Do some more research on the matter, and also know this, people that come on here for answers - like yourself, and people like me who give replies and counsel, are on here because of the same thing, EXPERIENCE! We who answer have different experiences, and suggestions, and people like yourself are looking for that Experience and suggestions! Of course there are people on here that have had bad times, but there are also people who have had good turn outs! Everyone of us is different, even our experiences with the same doctor could be totally different. One of the nice people on here, that went through hell because of her roid surgery, I think had a rougher time because of her cold hearted surgeon who treated her like she was a number! If you feel comfortable with your doctor/sureon, you are more likely to ask the questions that YOU NEED to be answered right? So ask around, don't settle and IF it doesn't feel right don't do it! Because lets face facts, your Hemmorrhoids aren't going anywhere! Right?!! ;-) XD They will still be with you, like a bad hair do, until you decide when and where to take care of them! This should be done when YOU are ready for it, NOT when the insurance is! Does this help a little? Also I just thought of something, here in Canada we have a Doctors rating website, where patients can register and tell their personal stories about their encounters with those doctors, see if there is one in your State! It's a GREAT tool! Good luck and health honey!

i feel u the recovery is very painful but u can get over it my external was on or near the spincter too i dont think i have incontinence thou but am living cause my muscle is still in spasm its been day 9 today and am not bad jus a tingling. I feel u in terms of the insurance cause i didnt have insurance and i spent 100,000 jamaican dollars to do the surgery but i couldnt wait on the insurance 6 months time when i could have recovered so i did it and got it over with. Look for a rectal surgeon as they have more experiene in that field. I did mine with a general surgeon but somehow i think i dont trust him as he keep asking his colleagues questions. Anyhow i wish u luck and jus get over it, it too shall pass.