Subject bout says it all. Every time I get acrylic nails the skin around my finger tips dries out at starts peeling back half way up to my first knuckle as well as under the nail. What causes this? And how can I prevent it from happening? I don't want to have to get rid of the nails again because I just chew my real ones off. Any help for me? Or am I doomed to have short nails? Oh, I have no allergies, the only time this EVER happens is when I get fake nails other than that my skin is fine.

I know you said you have no allergies, but that sounds exactly like an allergic reaction.

Mine have starting doing the same thing. I have gotten my nails done for years!! I had a hystorectomy and a few years after that is when it started. I have been doing so much research to find out what causes this and how to fix it.

Glad to know I am not the only one this has happened to.

So glad to hear from all three of you. Especially anonymous' comment about a few years after the hysterectomy connection. I've worn acrylic nails forever and my fingers began peeling about a year ago. I will get a little air blister and then the skin just peels right off. I also had a partial hysterectomy several years ago. So, yesterday I had the nails removed and hopefully this will take care of the problem. I'd love to hear about any suggestions for getting over this. Also, has anyone gone back to acrylic after a year or so? If so, what happened. What a strange reaction this is... Oh, I did go to my dermatologist about 6 months ago, he's supposedly the best and he didn't figure it out and told me to use HAND LOTION!!!!

I too have experienced all of these symptoms.  Burning and intense itching after acrylic nail application.  Also the skin under my nails and around my nails and cuticles began splitting and peeling.  I have discontinued the acrylic nails on three different occasions and the symptoms would go away, only to return when I once again began using acrylic nails.  Sometimes as much as 3 or 4 years would pass and my hopes would be that whatever caused the problem would be gone.  No luck.  However, my sister introduced me to a product called VITE20 which was recommended by her nail tech.  It actually is an anti-fungal treatment.  It contains a light acid which actually softens the skin around and under the nail to keep it from cracking.  It has allowed me to keep using acrylic nails, which is important to me in that I too, am a biter.  I don't know why it works, but it seems to. 

I'm having the same problem. Except the itchiness is only in the first week or so...and I've never had a hysterectomy.

I really want to fix this problem too. I mean whats the point of having pretty nails if its ruining your whole finger! My first theory was maybe when I wash my hands, water could kind of get trapped under them? Causing some sort of fungal-ish problem?

All i know is regular hand lotion is definitely not the answer :'(

Hi there to both of you. Two replies in the last two days...I want to let you know exactly what's going on with my skin---perhaps it's not the same as what you are dealing with? I get "blisters" that are air filled (no fluid). They "pop" by starting to peel, and when they peel it goes halfway to my first knuckle. The skin just pulls right off. When it starts to repair it will only take one small bubble and all the repair is gone within seconds. There is no itchiness, no feeling whatsoever....until the skin is gone and then it's tender. I've tried everything, including Lamisil but will try the V-40(?) that you mentioned. The latest to arrive today is colloidial silver and aloe gel. Gets 5 out of 5 stars on Amazon. We'll see.

Wow! I was shocked and glad at the same time that I'm not the only going through this. Over the past year this has also been happening to me. The peeling only happens around the fingertips and cuticles. I started doing my own nails at home and thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but no... It also happened when I would go get them done professionally. I have been waiting to do my nails for months hoping that I wouldn't have a reaction. Well I did my nails last week and it happened again! I would love to find something that would with this reaction!!

Hi all, i also suffer with all of the previous issues mentioned. Got my nails done and the itchnlyness turns into blistery type bubbles which in turn make my fingers sore and peel. I had to remove nails asap as it was unbearable. I am.a biter too and am desperate for nice nails. I waited a few months and same thinghapped when i had them done again somewhere else so i went for a gelax polish ss thought that might.b better but same thing happened. I have been advised that i may been having a reaction to a nail dehydrator which us usually applied to the nail bed before the acrylic to help it stck longer. I am scared to even try without it! I dont no about anyone else but it only happened after i had a baby??!! Possible connection to those whove had hysterictomys??! Will defo try the moisterosers tho any other advice wud be great x

Hi everyone! I have the same thing happening to me, it could be contact dermitosis. I have eczema on my hands though so it could also be that. Does anyone else have asthma? I've read that eczema is linked to asthma.

My story is the same. After many years of acryllic nails I suddenly started with the allergy. I would remove the nails and let them rest for a year, then had them put back on and they were fine for another year. Then the allergy came back. If I file the acryllic off from the edges (near the skin) with a really fine file, I can stop the blistering. I can't believe there is no cure. I don't have time to keep my natural nails up. The polish chips off so frequently no matter what I do to keep them looking nice and professional.

Momma....i went bk to acrylic after about a year after i completely forgot what hapoened the year before and that i remembered why i didnt get them done lol! The itching swelling and blistering a peeling started. I had to soak them off in th middle of the night as it was unbearable. I have recently found a mobile nail tech who is going to do a tester on one of my nails with stuff for sensitive skin and acid free lotions. I really hope that works as i need nails :-) I will post how i get on let u no if theres a way we can have nice nails. I was also wondering if it would gave the same effect on toes as some people get toe acrylics?? X

I have the same symptoms as everyone else on this page and its doing my head in. ive been getting acrylic nails for 10 years and just the last 3 applications all this itching and swelling etc has started lasting for 3 days after they refill the nails. Ive tried 3 different shops acrylic and jel but its the same outcome. I cant stand the itching and will not have them put on again when these ones are off. im gutted as i hate my real nails. I have read on a medical site if you keep getting them done and suffer the itching which gets worse in the end your own nails will lift from the bed and will never grow back properly again so for me it is a must to never have acrylic fillted again  :-(  im going to try having mine manicured and painted and put in the machine lol dont know what its called. Apparently the paint stays on a lot longer when they use the machine. The medical site also said once you are allergic you will be allergic for life so giving acrylic a break will not work.  Gutted!

I have found a solution!  My nail tech puts on a tip then several layers of gel, not acrylic gel, just the straight gel.  He does one nail at a time and then that nail is put under a UV light to "cure" while he does another one on the other hand.  Takes about an hour and I don't get any reaction.  Sadly it chips quite easily and being a nail biter I tend to still bite away and often need a repair within a week. But they are a godsend for special occasions when I want beautiful looking nails with the allergic reaction!

Same here - VERY frustrating. Just the last 2 fills. I am wondering if any of the products they use have been changed or reformulated and it is being used by many nail salons. Never heard of this before as I have also been using acrylic nails for about 12 years with no previous problems.