Hi I'm new to all this so please bare with me. Unfortunately a couple of months ago I found out my partner and I had a miscarriage and had a d and c on 17th of March. Since then I had no period and found out I was pregnant again on the 4th of May which says 1-2 weeks. I then did another test on 6th May which said 2-3 weeks. The thing is I had protected intercourse on the 21st April, with a friend/ colleague trust me I regret it like you wouldn't believe and am worrying myself sick. IM certain it didn't break or slip etc. My partner and I have unprotected intercourse and did have it a couple of days before and 23rd and after. I'm just worrying myself can someone please help?

Hi Dancer,

Disregard the dates from your pregnancy tests.  They are an estimate, that's all.

Assuming the protection worked, your partner is the father.

We can't know when your LMP was to calculate when you'd ovulate but normally a home test takes about two weeks to become accurate.  That means the timing is right for either male to be the father.

Sperm can survive up to about 5 days as well. 

You'll need a DNA test to confirm but since you DID use protection, it's likely your partner that is the father.

Good luck.

Thank you, what would you say my chances are? I worrying myself sick thinking over it, but the protection most certainly didn't break etc.. And my partner and I ttc regularly.

If you used a condom, properly, it can be 98% effective.

Odds strongly favor your partner.

Thank you, yes used properly and no breaks etc. you know when people say 98% effective when used properly what's the 2% reason they couldn't work if used properly?

I don't know the answer to that. It is a very good question. Most likely it wasn't used properly but whoever replied said it was. There is also the possibility of a tear in the condom you can't find. Remember, sperm are microscopic.

Most errors are, in fact, user errors. Some mistakes couples make include placing the condom
upside down and then turning it over (29.1%), taking condom off too soon (28.4%), putting the condom
on too late (19.7%), opening the package with a sharp object (10%) and using an oil based lubricant
(6.5%). Of course, the most frequent mistake is not using a condom at all. Trying to conceive can be very stressful, and going through losing a pregnancy, even more so. Don't beat yourself up so much over the interaction with your colleague, as we humans tend to make decisions when we are emotionally grieving, that we would not normally make. It is perfectly understandable to be concerned, but stress is definitely not what a baby needs to grow and be healthy. I would HIGHLY recommend seeking out a medical professional that you can talk to that can assist you in dealing with your state of mind that led to the incident and helping you process your loss and stress going forward with this pregnancy in a neutral environment where you will not feel judged. It is the best way for you to deal with your fears and emotions, so they do not affect the remainder of your pregnancy, or your experiences after birth.