I had surgery on March 4 to remove nose polyps. They had grown so that they completed obstructed my nasal passages. On my return visit the doctor found the healing process slow. Yesterday, May 1, he took a picture and showed me where the healing site was raw and there were a few little what looked like swellings or bumps in the lining. He said that is why I am still some what stuffy and nasally. He took a culture. He said depending on results he may have to take a biopsy. He told ne that there are some deseases that may cause this. I don't want to think cancer. Has anyone else had this experience?

Typically nasal polyps are non cancerous growths occurring in the nose or sinuses. Other types of polyps occur in the bowel or urinary bladder, but have no relationship to those in the nose and sinuses. Polyps in the bowel or bladder have a chance of being cancerous; polyps in the nose and sinuses are rarely malignant.

Medical management to reduce the size of the polyps often requires a series of steroid pills and nasal steroid sprays. Since the nasal steroid sprays have very little absorption into the blood stream, there are few, if any, side effects. For those patients whose polyps cannot be managed medically or choose not to manage them medically, surgery is usually effective. I am assuming this is what happened with you. Are you still on the steroid spray or pill? Did the doctor give this to you first? If not, this is an option to reduce the size.

It is rare for nasal polyps to be cancerous, so the odds are in your favor. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.