i have this problem iswell. i thought i was the only one. few years ago i had my blood pressure checked and it was high, ever since then i've developed a fear of having my blood pressure taken and about blood pressure machines. i literally make my blood pressure go up by panicking. i've just had a 24hr blood monitoring check and i know without a doubt that i'm going to have all high readings. even if i try to relax it's still high.

very true. what happens to you once happened to me also, it made the doctor to place me on beta blockers whereas i had no blood pressure. just thinking about it increases it. and i'm just 23

I have normal blood pressure most of the time 120 over 60. All I have to do is walk into my cardiologist's office and my blood pressure goes to 175 over whatever. the first time this happened my doctor said.. "do I really freak you out that much?.. He understands!!! After a few moments my pressure drops 40 points. And Yes.. I can raise my blood pressure at will.

Yes I do, and am exactly the same as you with the bp readings etc...!!! Finally someone else that does it too! I too never had problems with my blood pressure, until about 2 years ago when I suffered a bout of severe stress, my blood pressure went right up, so the Dr put me on pills but only for a short while as it was really just anxiety related. However, in saying that I can still send it up by just worrying about it. Any ideas for helping this?

In the state of confusion this things happen. Study Bhagavad-gita.

Oh dear this is exactly what I experience and its great for me to see that others have the same problem.  I went in for an operation and my blood pressure was 190/110 and the hospital asked me if it was alway high like this.  I told them that I have "white coat syndrome", I think as my blood pressure can be as low as 140/80. They accepted my explanation and went ahead with the op.  Then when I was in recovery my blood pressure was so low they had to heat me up with an electric blanket.  Goodness knows whats going on.  I am on blood pressure pills Cilizapril 5mg and the doctor increased them to 12.5mg and when I went for my walk I nearly passed out.  This was some weeks after I had started taking them.  I stopped taking the BP tablets and 6 days later went to the doctor and he took my BP and said the pills were working and my blood pressure was 138/80!!!  I then told him I hadn't taken them for 6 days.  He was not sure what to say.  I take my reading in the morning and its 179/84 so it is still high.  I hve the same problem I only have to think about my blood pressure and up it goes.  A funny thing happened when my cousin came to visit and she was having trouble with her BP so my husband asked me to demonstrate our machine. Well we were laughing away and talking whilst taking my BP and low and behold it showed a reading of 134/80.  I didn't have time to get anxious so "what am I like"  Good to hear all your comments and I did have a good laugh as that is me exactly.

People with small blood vessels are known to have this problem. I'm 73 and have had readings of 212/190 in the emergency rooms,whether it's the flouresent lighting "or what ever" something goes on I can't explain but don't worry with this kind of pressure" at times" it help cleanse your vessels of cholestral and keep your arteries clean. My readings at home are in the normal range and sometimes 100/60 or lower. If you are concerned try taking olive leaf extract to cope with the anxiety factor

I am so beside myself 3 days before I have to go a doctor's appointment I make myself crazy because every single time without fail my pressure goes up. I have to take a friend with me every time I go because I am so frightened of my pressure being high. But, even with my friend there I am still a nervous wreck. Then I make myself sick after they take blood work because I always think there is something terribly wrong with me. I can't conquer this fear. Can anyone else relate to me. I would appreciate it. Oh! I forgot to mention that usually when I take it at home it's usually in the normal to low range.

Please shut up. You are not sincere.

As for me, I am not saying that I can control my blood pressure but I can say that I can almost control my brain. Anyone would say that it is positive for me, but not all of them would say the same for you. Yes, it has few good sign in it, but over all I would say "not okay". I suggest you to try more magnesium in your food chain. They work like a MAGNESIUM MIRACLE.

I have had the same problem. My blood pressure at one stage hit 200+(The highest result the doctor has ever seen) as I was so afraid of getting it done. I have had this problem for years. I could not face the doctors to get it done. Now I have bought a machine and do it every day until getting it done has become normalised in a way, which has really helped. I non longer care what my result is now, as I have become so accustomed to having it on my arm and I have accepted that whatever happens I'll still be alright provided I looke after myself and am seeing the doc regularly. Now that I do it daily, over the month my average is now 117/78. I know it is hard guys believe me, I've been there, but you have to work hard to get over it. When I first got my machine I was getting readings of 180+ and over time, i have brought it down dramatically.

Hi everyone im so happy reading this, sharing your life experience about this matter  because I thought I am the only one experiencing this blood pressure test anxiety or white coat syndrom, I think to my self that I was an abnormal person..so thank GOd I find this forum.

I found out that this is a normal feeling. yes Im not alone.. ^_^

WOW, I cant believe how much these posts describe me to a "T". I am generally an anxious person but lately my anxiety has reached extreme high levels. I was at the doctors office the other day and have always had "white coat fever" but when my BP was taken and the results were 162/100 I almost went through the roof. I have become totally obsessed with my BP and take it sometimes 10 times in a row until I feel satisfied that it has come down to an acceptable level I think about it last thing before going to bed and the first thing when I wake up. It truly is ridiculous and will drive a person crazy. Has anyone else been prescribed any medication or therapy for this? One APNA prescribed me Xanax and my MD said I shouldn't take it and he prescribed me low dose beta block to take "as needed" when I feel my heart accelerate...I am not convinced that either medication is appropriate however.

I knew i was not alone but i it is good to read these posts it gives me some hope. I am 49 and never been to the doctor. My Doctor was surprised that s´he has nearly nothing on me. Everything started while i was at my fathers home for few years ago and i wanted to measure my BP (he has a machine at home). It was way high and i can feel my pulse going rapidly hig as i was putting the machine on. Yesterday i went to the doctor and ii asked for a bp test and as agian result where high i was terrified. The gave me a machine so i can try yat home. When i think of the machine i makes me crazy. This is the result of my first test at home in the morgning. 1- 160 90 and puls 140. 2- i was ofcurse terrified of the first result 175 95 133 for the puls and the last was 180 100 127 for the puls. I must make my evening tests now and i am already terrified of even thinking about it at the moment whie writing.

Hello, I am so happy to have found this site.
I have had this intense phobia which no doctor is sympathetic to.
Just looking at a machine now makes me tense up.
I have tried Cognitive Behavioral Therapy which worked for a while, but now the higher numbers have returned, also,on a home machine.
It is quite distressing but I am determined to find a way to deal with this because my imagination keeps running...if the fear can trigger a rise, why can't a positive thought bring it down???
I welcome all suggestions.