I'm 16 and losing my hair. Anyone help? I started having hair loss on the temples when body hair started 2 years ago but now I'm losing it also on top of my head and there's already a spot where hair is really thin and you see my scalp It's about 6-7 cms and in the middle there's 1 cm where hair has completely gone. My brother has started puberty and he's also losing hair on the temples. We're at a loss. Doctor told me it's premature balding, it's hereditary. He says 1 out of 10 men suffers from it in a more or less severe form. He himself started losing his hair during puberty like his father and when he was 20 he was bald on top but with hair left in front which took a few more years to go. But in my family only my mother's father was bald that early. My father only started losing his hair when he was in his late 20ies. He's bald for some years now (he's 41) but I remember him with hair. Anyone help? Or anyone same problem? In my class I'm the only one!

Hi. We're always the only ones! That's also my experience. My doc told me that it was up to 1 out of 6 men who lost his hair prematurely but out of the 15 or so boys in my class there was no one else and among the 100s of boys in my school there were only 2 other ones who started balding and they were 18! I don't buy this 1 out of 6 or 1 out of 10 sh*t. It's rare, it's like some rare sickness. I had to go through exactly the same thing as you. Temples at 13-14, top of the head at 15-16, then front hairline receded. At 18 I had a very high forehead and a large completely bald area on top of my head. Then I lost my hair in front and finally even the crown became smaller, down to 2'' width. By 23-24 it was all done with. It was and it still is a nightmare, especially since I have a lot of body hair and I wish it was the other way round.

I believe 1 out of 6 is the figure of 18 year olds with a male frontal hairline (meaning they have lost hair on the temples). More or less all men lose at least hair in this area. Premature balding like the one you describe is more rare and should not be compared to the normal hormonal hairloss. On my mother's side I'm from a family with severe hairproblems affecting everyone for 3 generations. Men are very hairy and grow bald early (and it seems to be ever more early with each generation) and women grow excessive body hair and experiene thinning hair on their heads. My uncles were bald when 25 with only the typical crown of hair left and even that diminished until only a small rim of hair remained at the rear of their head, I have 1 cousin, he's 22 and he lost the last of his frontal hairline a year ago, I myself started losing my hair with the onset of puberty and was already bald on top of my head when 17 and lost my frontal hairs before I turned 19. Since then the remaining crown of hair is steadily thinning and receding. I'm 27 and the remaining rim is only 3 cm wide and there's practically no hair left above my ears. I have an 18 year old brother who is bald on top.

nonetheless there seem to be a lot of us according to all the posts here
I started to have thinning hair at 17 (I had bald temples at 16, then my hair started to generally thin on the top of my head), but it took until I was nearly 30 for me to be bald
my brother had bald temples only when 18 but he then developed the regular bald spot on top of his head which since increases in size. Today he's 28 and he's still got frontal hair but a largely bald plate
we have 2 half-brothers, one who still has his full hair except for the temples (he's 19) and one who's got thinning hair the way I did (he's 22 and you can clearly see where his crown of hair will remain and where he will be bald his hair is so thin already); the one with still full hair is the only of us who is not blonde, maybe that has something to do with it

my brother is losing his hair, I think it's cool for a guy to get bald
he's 20 and so far it's only that you see through his hair on top of his head and he's got a balder spot around the vortex
of course he hates it but I don't understand you guys, you don't need hair, men should all go bald it should be part of puberty, wouldn't it be great if all were the same, it's that some keep theirs which makes it bad for you, but take it as a natural evolution and those who keep theirs consider them as late-bloomers, not real men
I find it really sexy, my bf had bald temples when we met and now at 27 he's got to a stage which I don't like that much, he's got a clear bald spot on top of his head more or less 3'' wide but still has full hair elsewhere, this makes him really look old so I asked him to shave it all which he did and he looks great, he's not got excessive body hair but he's got a lot in the right places, on his chest and on his pubes where it grows very high
you're perfect without hair!

It's truly 1 out of 6, but most don't have a severe form of hairloss. Today it's 1 out of 50 who's going to lose hair during puberty and being bald at 25. This is 3 times as much as only 30 years ago. It seems we're getting bald earlier. I'm part of those 2%, like all of you, temples at 17, see-through on top of the head at 19/20, bald spot at 21, then it went really fast and bald by 24. Good luck.

Hi I'm HansU writing again. I've turned 18 last week. By now I've got a bald spot on top of my head which is 10 cm large. It's a circle with precise limits. My temples are completely bald with the area nearly joining the bald spot on top. On the rear of my head I still have full hair which grows very high. I'm really only balding on the very top. My brothers temples are also balding fast and he's also losing hair in the front above his forehead. So far I don't see a sign of thinning hair on top of his head though. This is hard but it's good to read that there actually are others. Thanks!

Hi Hansu, this is my worst nightmare. I'm 22 but I've lost hair on my temples during puberty and also some on top of my head after puberty. Since then I feel it doesn't fall out anymore but both my cousins on my mother's side have had bald temples after puberty and grew bald in their 20. They're 29 and 31 and look like 50 to me with no hair at all on top of their head and only a very small crown of hair around it which they trim short of course. One had reached this state when he was 26 the other when 30. Also they're blonde and I'm blonde too. So I'm really afraid.