Hello there friends.

I have noticed when I was at the vets office that there are so many dogs diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease.

I don’t know why, but I was wondering, is it possible that this is so common disease in dogs?

So, I wanted to start this subject for everyone – just to learn some new things about this, and maybe, someone with experience can tell us more about this disease.

So, it would be nice to share experience how to treat dogs with inflammatory bowel disease.

Tell us your experience, tell us what do you think…

It would be nice to help a lot of dog owners who have this problem :)

Hey there.

It is nice that you start this discussion. I have to say that I've noticed this as well.

My friends also are calling me very often, telling me that their dogs were diagnosed with IBD.

Usually, they don’t know how to treat it, but this is so nice, now we can share our experience :) and all other pet lovers can use our advice :)

First, if you notice that your dog has diarrhea or vomiting, that is the first sign that you need to visit the vet. After visiting him, you need to find out what is the best way to treat it. Usually, vet will prescribe some medications, and some combination that works for each animal. It is very important that during this healing process, you need to be in touch with your vet constantly.

Hi you two,

I’m not so sure that this is a common thing. I mean, I haven’t heard a lot of people having to deal with IBD. It’s a pretty hard disease to recognize, you know. Your vet will almost always tell you that your dog “could have” IBD, and that he will know for sure after he runs some tests. The causes of IBD are unknown, by the way. So the change in diet (must be something your dog digests easy) combined with medications given to you by the vet are the treatment. This shows results in a matter of days, and IBD is not too dangerous since it can be kept under control.

Hello. Well, I don’t think that this is common thing as well. Maybe you just run in to some people who have pets with this problem. It happens very often, that is true, but it is not common. About the treatment, I can’t tell you some new philosophy how to treat it. It can’t be that hard, especially when you know that you need to change diet program for your dog. This is the best cure for IBD, sometimes it is the best. Don’t think twice is it good to change your dog’s menu plan – do it. It will work! 

Hey everyone,

I didn’t hear a lot about IBD either. So I share your opinion Rubylock, I don’t think that it’s so common.

And here is what I have to say to all owners of dogs with IBD:

The good thing is that this is one of those diseases which are not dangerous for your dog’s life. It gets hard to recognize it in your dog, that’s true, but once you do know that IBD is what your dog has, it is possible to treat it.

You will need to visit your vet for this, because first, he needs to do some tests to check if your dog has IBD.

Then, he needs to choose the right medications for him because they are not the same for every dog. Combine those medications with a proper diet and your dog will be fine.

Hi! I heard a lot about IBD and I have a lot of friends who have dogs with this disease (for someone to be my friend he has to have a dog). So I could say that it’s a common thing, if you ask me. How do you treat it? Just like everyone else told you, it’s that simple. You will need to monitor your dog’s condition constantly because it’s probably going to change and then you might have to change his diet and/or his medications. Inform your vet about any changes which you want to make on your own. If he gets the right setup of diet and medications, the dog with IBD should be fine.

Hi everyone,

I know nothing about IBD. I saw your post and I was intrigued by it so I researched a bit and I phoned a few friends.

Apparently, I’m not the only one who knows nothing about it. I mean, I do now. It appears to happen more often to a bit older dogs than to younger ones.

Not easy to diagnose at all: you can never be sure until you treat it right. If you treat it right, if you notice that your dog is getting better, then you know that it’s IBD.

Basically, a good diet plus medications prescribed by your vet seem to be the best treatment for IBD, but also the only one that shows results.

Hey there,

Dear Olivia, I share your opinion as well.

I could swear that this is common, because after I posted this topic, I was talking with my friends as well, and they told me that this is not common at all.

But, I was wondering why everyone near me are talking about it?

That was the main reason why I was curious about this issue.

I am really glad that you are telling us about your experiences, your thoughts.  

Is there any difference between diagnoses of inflammatory bowel disease?

Or, they are the same?

I still have a lot of questions :)

Hey there.

I want to help you, if I can of course.

All the treatments for this disease will try to decrease inflammation in the intestines. Some of them will aim directly to the immune system, some will be slow, but they will work. Also, sometimes you need to limit some ingredients that are irritating your pet’s digestive system as well.

You need to be aware that none of these treatments will permanently cure your dog, but it will help manage the problem. You should also remember that medications that work directly on your pet’s immune system are helpful.