My husband used to be very health man, until last few years. Since then, every few months he has to go to the hospital. This time, they found he has thrombosed hemorrhoids. I would like to know what does it means, and what difference of normal hemorrhoids is. He has to go to surgery removing, so I would like to hear more about this procedure.

I think you already know that all people have blood-filled sacs that cushion the passage of stool through the anal canal. Problem called hemorrhoids occurs when these sacs become stretched and enlarged. Hemorrhoids can occur during or after pregnancy, after long periods in a seated position, or because of constipation or diarrhea. Hemorrhoids generally are classified as external, which can be very painful, and internal, which can protrude and bleed. External hemorrhoids can become thrombosed, what happened with your husband. This means his hemorrhoids developed blood clots inside, and become very tender. Large blood clots can produce pain with walking, sitting or passage of stool, which is not simple at all. It is not clear why healthy people suddenly develop clots in external hemorrhoids, so I guess that is why your husband’s doctor recommended surgical removal. This procedure to remove thrombosed hemorrhoids creates an incision over the clot, allowing the doctor to squeeze out the clot. There is one more way, and that is to remove the clot and the blood vessels in the thrombosed hemorrhoid, which gave longer and better result.