I'm 15. During the 9th grade, I learned more about HIV/AIDS. The disease is extremely scary to me since I learned about it.

One of the problems I think I have is that I'm somewhat of a "worrying" type of person. So naturally...

I started worrying that I had HIV/AIDS. I know for a fact that I was not born with the disease and that the disease is transfered through: sex, needles (drugs), and of course through the mother (if she's infected).

1. I haven't even kissed a girl on the mouth let alone had sex with her.
2. I haven't injected any types of drugs into myself.
3. I know I wasn't born with it. (Trust me on this one!)

Usually when I get ill (although fairly rare), I think of the worst situations. Since Sunday (April 16th, 2006), I've been sick. The night of Saturday I had a friend over and we stayed up late playing video games and drinking Coca-Cola (not the healthiest drink). Later that Sunday morning I had some McDonalds and went home sleepy because I didn't get much sleep.

My friend left and I went to sleep for about 4 or so hours, in which I felt like c**p when I woke up. My whole body felt really weak and I was tired.

On Monday I had woke up with a headache and a cold or whatever. I went to school anyways and came home tired again. I went to bed and didn't feel that much better. That same night I felt much worse although my head hadn't hurt that much. My father gave me some medicine and I took it, however I threw-up and I'm sure the medicine went with it somewhere.

On Tuesday, I felt better but I insisted that I shouldn't go to school. I stayed home and slopped around, watched the television and relaxed hoping some relaxation would get rid of this sickness.

On Wednesday (today), I went to school again and noticed that a fair number of students were sick and I still felt somewhat better (my head doesn't hurt at all), however I still have a runny nose and I'm sneaking.

I'm almost done...please don't leave me now.

I started reading some of the symptoms for HIV/AIDS, and I noticed that I had some of them.

* rapid weight loss (not that I notice...)
* dry cough (yes)
* recurring fever or profuse night sweats (I'm not sure if it's a fever, but I do sweat sometimes during the night)
* profound and unexplained fatigue (I'm not that tired unless something is really borring me)
* swollen lymph glands in the armpits, groin, or neck (I noticed a small pain in my armpit, however it doesn't hurt anymore)
* diarrhea that lasts for more than a week (I think I have a weak stomach or something because I used to have a lot of diarrhea, and I don't know)
* white spots or unusual blemishes on the tongue, in the mouth, or in the throat (Nope)
* pneumonia (I don't really think so? Or at least not according to my mom, and she's a doctor)
* red, brown, pink, or purplish blotches on or under the skin or inside the mouth, nose, or eyelids (Nope)
* memory loss, depression, and other neurological disorders (No)

So...FINALLY! Do you think I have this terrible illness or am I just imagining things from common symptoms? I'm somewhat eager to find out so please help me.

Anyone...? :-(

Ahhh...thanks a lot people. Whatever, I talked to my mother (a docter) and she reassured me that it's impossible for me to have AIDS/HIV when I haven't done anything to get it.

sorry, I didn't see your post. Your mum is right, there is no way you could have it. Most of those symptoms will occur if you get a common cold or flu. Remember that HIV/AIDS isn't that common, only a tiny percentage of the population is actually infected

I would have to disagree with the statement above that HIV/AIDS is not that common!

There are 40.3 million people suffering from this disease in the world. Since 1981 when the virus first appeared millions of people have died and I wouldn’t call this disease uncommon but on the contrary WIDELY SPREAD.

Now, we won’t protect out children by lying to them and hiding the numbers of infected but by educating them how to prevent further spread of this nasty and incurable disease. This is the only way to stop the growing rate of HIV/AIDS. Only in the year 2005, 4.9 million new cases of infected people were recorder and the numbers are surely higher because a large number of people don’t even know that they have the virus.

First, we should let people (those who still don’t know) know what HIV and AIDS are. It is important to know the difference between HIV and AIDS. A 15 year old is not a child anymore and could be engaging themselves in sexual activities in a year or so.

HIV a.k.a Human Immunodeficiency Virus is a virus that attacks body’s cells, known as helper T cells or CD4 cells, whose role is to defend out body against illnesses. By attacking these important cells in our body, HIV harms and impairs our immune system.

AIDS a.k.a Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome is a disease that occurs when HIV impairs and weakens our immune system to the point that the person develops some of the 25 "opportunistic infections" that take control of the weakened immune system. When this happens, people get sick and have AIDS diagnosis. Until this happens, they are HIV positive, which means that they have the virus but have not developed the disease yet. It may pass 15 years or so until HIV infected person develops AIDS.

HIV virus is spread from one person to another. The most common ways of spreading the virus are through unprotected sexual intercourse (without a condom, which is the only protection against HIV so far). Under sexual intercourse, we think of vaginal, anal and oral sex. HIv can be transmitted through injection drug use by sharing needles with people who are infected. It is said that even if you have to take drugs by injecting them (meaning if you are a drug addict), make sure you always have your own needles. HIV can be spread from mother to a child through pregnancy, delivery and breast milk.

HIV CANNOT be spread by shaking hands and hugging. No HIV transmission has been reported from contact with saliva, tears, or sweat.

The only way to protect ourselves is to PLAY SAFE. No one is protected against contracting HIV. A cute, sweat-looking 16-year old girl is not protected, neither is a married man or a woman.

Whenever we engage in sexual activities we need to use condoms and dental dams for oral sex even if we know the person we are engaging into sexual activities.

Like I have already mentioned, people who inject drugs should use their own needles and do not share them with the others.

The disease is so dangerous because there is no cure or vaccine for it. There are drugs and treatments that are helping HIV infected people to stay healthy longer and delay the onset of AIDS.

I was refering to the US population, where the infection rate is 0.005% of the population, making it only a small percentage.

I agree that it is a massive problem, especially in developing countries. However, I was trying to reassure a freaked out teenager that had virtually no chance of having the infection.

Thanks for explaining more about the disease, but I'm almost 100% sure I don't have it.

Can someone explain to me if I have a swollen lymph node in my neck, that it's not bad? I asked my teacher for Biology and he said it has to do with hormones or something. %-)

Lymph nodes usually swell if you have some kind of infection, you mentioned that you had a cold recently - that could be why. If you are concerned, get your mum to check. Try not to worry so much about having serious illness.

Thanks, but I had that cold about three weeks ago or something. Since then I've been getting really bad allergies and I guess the cold was the first sign of the allergy season coming up.

i take ur problem is not coommon to each coz this kind of problem is stuinal
is not eazy to deal it u must knw wat its effect and u must u go to the doctor ........................................................... :P

I think what Jenny said about educating our children is true, but i also believe that scaring them is not the way to go. I too am 15 and have worried about having an STD before (also ever since the AIDS/HIV classes) but I have been reassured many times that unless I did something to contract it, I do not have one.

Telling someone who is worried about whether they have an STD of any kind all the statistics, or saying something along the lines that "Yes! you are likly to have it" does not help the situation at all.

I would highly suggest Mr. Newbie, that since your mom is a doctor, and has the training to know what kinds of things to look for, that you go to her with the kind of questions that you have. I believe that she would be able to answer your questions better than any of us can. Not only does she live with you, but she is also able to see the situation as it unfolds.

I hope that in the future, you never hesitate to talk to your mom. She is the one biggest fan, that you can never replace.

Best of luck for your future~

Can someone explain to me if I have a swollen lymph node in my neck, that it's not bad? I asked my teacher for Biology and he said it has to do with hormones or something. :?

dont worry you usually get this when your ill anyway. you dont have HIV stop being so scared of this disease and go out there and kiss some girls or you'll end up a 40 year old virgin ok? when you have sex just use a condom and you'll be safe

remember HIV isn't the onlything u have to worry about.There may be a small percentage of Americans with it but its much much bigger when u add up all the americans with sexually transmitted diseases.There is like ghonnorea,clamydia,herpes,syphilys,etc.

really really worried wrote:

Anyone...? :(

no i jus think your imagining things you only have one of the symptoms so just quit worrying k its just a lil cold 8)

dude chill, your mums a doctor. try not to obsess over things:) I'm sure she'd notice if you were REALLY ill.