Hi
For around 6 months now i have been getting chest pain going into my left arm. My doc said it was muscular after i had had ecg's echocardiogram blood tests (blood count troponin d dimers) and chest x ray and seen a cardiologist. I then started to develop anxiety because i thought i had a heart problem and therefore have had many trips to the A+E convinced im dying which has resulted in me having at least 10ECGs since last october 3 chest x rays and 4 lots of blood tests seen my own GP hundreds of times, seen a cardiologist, about 5 A+E doctors and many out of hours doctors on the weekend. only to be told that everything is fine and nothing medically wrong with me. In the past month or so i have started getting pain going up into the left side of my jaw and sometimes into my cheek and down my left arm and makes my hand tingle, my doc and counsellor re assure me its all anxiety related, but i can get it when i dont feel anxious or i can wake up in the night in agony. Do i believe my doc that anxiety is causing all these symptoms or does it sound like there could be something else more sinister going on underneath that they have missed out on? I can also get an odd sort of tingly type feeling down the middle of my chest which usually comes on in bed and can often make me feel dizzy. I don't deny i suffer from anxiety but i also think something else may be causing some of these symptoms...? Thanks for reading and if anyone can give me any feedback from their experiences i would be grateful.
I am a 21yr old female non smoker (quit last year after smoking 4-5 years) slightly overweight taking citalopram 10mg daily for anxiety and seeing a counsellor

It sounds to me like you need to visit a different doctor. The red flag is waking up with the pains. It wouldn't seem right having anxiety while sound asleep. Doctors can miss things, especially if you keep seeing the same one. They may be convinced you're having anxiety and therefore missing some key elements of an underlying condition. Not to scare you but my friend went to the doc multiple times for hard breathing, they took x-rays and everything, sent her home over and over again... even scheduled gal bladder removal surgery only to almost lose her on the operating table due to an enlarged heart! No one caught it. Not even on the x-rays with the enlarged heart right there in the back ground. ...don't take your health lightly, seek care until they can diagnos the problem. Good luck to you!

I have experienced the same thing since I was 12. I am now 20, and have had over 5 doctors tell me the same thing. They are called anxiety attacks. The muscles in your body contract and spasm just like they do when something scares you or when your really mad. My pains got so bad at some points that it felt like someone was stabbing a knife in my chest, and I would get so dizzy that I would pass out. You CAN get them in your sleep, and I frequently do. The attacks are triggered by something that bothers you, no matter how minute it is, or when your stressed or depressed. When your sleeping something that is happening in your dreams is what triggers the attack, even if you dont remember dreaming. The attacks dont even happen RIGHT when your upset, it can come even hours afterward. I started taking anxiety and depression pills six years ago, and they helped quite a bit, along with keeping a journal everynight. It is really relaxing and allows you to let go of your feelings and pretty much talk to someone without worrying what they're going to thing of you. I've been doing a lot better now, 6 years after I started writing and taking medication, and have just stopped taking medication to see if I even need it anymore. I hope this helps and encourages you to not worry so much, know that someone knows just what your feeling, and that everything will get better, eventhough it seems like there has to be something more serious wrong.

i am 16 and ive been drinking since 13 and i have stopped but i get serious arrhythmia and chest pains also neck pains and i also had serious anxiety for a year ive seen plenty of doctors they do plenty of test and they say its anxiety..can anyone out there please help me out here.. 8-|

Check this out:

I am a 21 year old female at 91lbs. and standing at 4'8". tiny thing, I know but my girlfriend and I have had the same problems with the drug: citolapram and were immediately rushed off of the drug. My gf was not as lucky as I was, she went to the hospital for a murmur. The drug was flushed out of her to stop the rapid fluctuating palpitations. I was born with an irregular heartbeat. My gf and I were both put on citalopram from the same reason which was anxiety. We both now have heart problems. Although I have not yet figured the extent of my problems, I have to see my doctor as well as a cardiologist next week. Ever since the medication, when I lay down or sometimes am doing anything, I will become short of breath and have "trouble breathing." I have chest pain often especially when I am lying down which then LEAD to my already bad anxiety. I was told my all of my doctors and my therapist a former nurse practitioner, that it was my "anxiety." With all of this hype about others being on citalopram and having heart problems form or worsen after the drug will eventually lead to a medical lawsuit. We cannot all be making this up. Make sure you are checked out through chest x-rays, electrocardiogram, and electrocardiography. If you are having tingling from your chest to your arm and fingers, there is no doubt in my mind it is connected to a nerve that is connected to your heart. Your left arm as well? Have you seen other doctors? Possibly one who you need not tell too much about your "anxiety" so they may overlook that and see the bigger picture?

I wish you luck! Do what you have to and never settle for answers until you are content with them in your gut. It could save your life.

Take Care, email me back if you want at _[removed]_

thanks

Yes, apple is right. Anxiety becomes instinctual in the mind, and thus it can happen regardless of if you are sleeping or not. Tingling is also a common anxiety symptom.

Always trust ur own instincts my dad had chest pains couldn't breath and sweating for over 9 months and yes anxiety can do that also so that's when u just need to follow up on it my dad had blocked arteries and had those same symptoms so just b careful and sadly we lost him 2 years ago he ended up having atheroschlerosis 90 & 50 percent blocked please follow up if u don't think it's right and actually my dad had 3 a&e admissions and sent home and plenty of doctor visits to b given medication for indigestion hope everything is k for u just get it checked properly guys take care

WHY are doctors so freakin stupid?

ya im 16 but i feel like something is wrong with my heart i think i growls but dont know... i just now found out that i have anxiety im just wonding if ur heart can growl.... lol scares the sh*t outa me!!

same here.,, its about on 1am i will wake up due to having some chest pain and its like something blocking on your heart and if i will swallow like thinking im eating a food it will come down but there is a pain then when i will inhale again it will go up and much pain., but after a 5 mins. it will be gone..

I have had anxiety for about 6 years I'm only 20 and I hate it but I think I have something wring with my heart everyday but doctor can never find anything after blood test and cat scannes. It sucks but I got to try to stop thinking about it. I'm sure it may be anxity but its hard to tell.

I know exactly what your going through, last year I was diagnosed with bad anxiety and they kept telling me its all in your mind because of your ocd/anxiety, trust me the doctors know what their talking about its going to be fine. God bless you

I also suffer from anxiety and for 2 weeks have been getting very bad chest pains, pains in my left arm and in my jaw. I have been for ecg's, chest xrays and a stress test. I am taking Cipralex for my anxiety. I wake up every morning and as soon as I stand up, it starts. I end up some days taking a Adivan to calm myself down. I feel the pain that you are going through and I hope it stops for the both of us.

Actually sleep panic attacks are very common and very real and scary to boot I suffer from panic and anxiety everyday So unless you suffer from the disease you shouldn't put doctors down the go to school ten twelve years for that I'm on paxil

well I have real bad anxiety and anxiety can make you feel sick everyday of your life and it can also take over your life I have been to so many doctor appointments and they gave me all kinds of test and they would tell me it was all anxiety I had to learn how to deal with it and take medication but anxiety comes in so many different ways you probly having anxiety for stopping so fast on your addiction that happens do you should start to take medication cause anxiety can also harm you