My grandfather was diagnosed with liver cancer two weeks ago. I was devistated by the news. I don't know anything about this disease. I want to help my grandfather, but don't know how? I would like to know more about liver cancer. Thanx

It is nice to hear that you are taking care of your grandfather. I will try to give you informations that you need to know about this disease. There are two main kinds of liver cancer, hepatoma and cholangiocarcinoma. Hepatoma cancer is primary liver cancer and it usually grows in the liver. Cholangiocarcinoma is a cancer of the bille ducts cells. It grows along the bille ducts, in sheets and lines and because of that it is very hard to find it on the X-ray. Most cases of liver cancer are metastases, cancers that started in another organ. The liver is one of the most common places for metastases to grow because of its very high blood flow. In general, causes of liver cancer are unknown but for example exposure to vinyl chloride can cause liver cancer. Vinyl chloride is very toxic, combustible and colorless gas. The most common symptoms of liver cancer are pain in the right upper abdominal area, weight loss, breast swelling in men, bruises on the skin caused by blood clotting etc. Treatment for liver cancer depends on the individual but possible treatments are surgery, liver transplantation, chemotherapy and radiation.