Recently I have noticed that my inner labia are very white as if they have no blood supply to them. They have always been extremely large and not very fatty. I am 56 years of age and wondered if this was something to do with the menopause. I still take my period although slightly irregular. I have got to be very careful as my skin in that region seems to be very delicate and tears very easly. I am also prone to thrush. I took part in a clinical trial for Tamoxafen and was on this (not a placibo) for 5 years. That was a number of years ago.

Health Advisor
Hi there! I have never heard of such problem. I did some reading on Tamoxafen and have been through perimenopausal symptoms and to be honest I don’t recognize your symptoms. Is the difference very big? I mean, labia can change in color but it is usually different colors of red and brown. However, we are all individual.

Are you experiencing any other troubles that could be related? Maybe it is just getting older issue!

If it were yeast infection, I reckon it would make your skin scaly, it would turn it white in color. If you find this to be much big of a deal, I suggest the only thing to do is see a gynecologist.

I am 55 years old. I am healthy and fit and have none of the usual menopausal problems. Recently the lower edges of my inner labia have turned white, as if there is no blood supply there. Until I saw another lady with the same question here, I have not been able to find any mention of this anywhere else. Does anyone have an explanation?

I am also 55 years old, with hardly any of the usual menopausal symptoms. The only symptoms are very occasional mild flushes - about one a week that is all. The edges of my inner labia have also turned white as though there is no blood supply there. There is also some whiteness in the hood above my clitoris. I have no pain, there is no discharge or broken skin. It is just white. I eat a very very low sugar and starch diet - ie mostly protein and green vegies and salads. According to my research candida infections thrive on a high sugar diet and also form colonies on the outside of the skin. So it seems unlikely to be a form of candida. This problem appears to be under the skin of the labia itself. According to my research the closest thing I have found is something called sclerosus albicans or lichen planus, but I don't really know what I have. This site is the only place I have found so far where there are other women with what seems to be the same symptoms. Please let me know if you find an answer.

I am 55. In the past 4 months, I too have experienced white labia. The white is around the outer edges.. and yes.. its like there is not blood supply there. Itchy as well.. and the hood over the clitoris is also white and pasty color.. and getting bigger.. my clitoris is very tender.. sex is painful. What the heck is this?

well, ladies. This might be kind of late and all, I assume you ladies are sexually active; if so then I think it could be the fact that your labia minora is thinning with age. I'm no expert, but the labia minora could thin with age and become delicate. If you are sexually this mean your labia minora could become easily traumatize and therefore develop a condition known as labia minora hyperplasia. If you traumatize the area or it gets much physical contact from rough sex, the white areas could become worse. The area may appear white and it feels itchy and kind of course and not smooth like the other areas. You could go to your gyno and get cream for it and it should go away. If it doesn't then it could be a more serious problem, but if you are upset about it you should go see an expert. I have had that before on my labia minora and I went to the gyno and she just said it was a skin irritation, some cream would help with that. It has nothing to do with your diet. Its a possible skin irritation.

I think you should first go and get it checked out. Go and see a good gynacologist. No-one around here can find a diagnosis without taking a look.

I am 31 years old. I too had whiteness around my labia last year with a lesion. It took a while to get a diagnosis.Finally when I got diagnosed, I found out I had Vulva cancer. This does not mean to say you too could....

All I can say is anything down their thats unusual is not a good thing. This does not also mean its due to sex. It's just your immune system. I too am very healthy and athletic, it all depends on your immune it can't be helped.

Good luck and I hope its nothing serious and even if so be positive and consider yourself lucky cause medicine has grown and developed itself enormously that today their is a treatment for most illnesses.

I'm 17 and i just noticed that my inner labia has become completely white. Almost as if the blood supply has been cut off. Also, it looks and feels very tender. I am sexually active, although not for a few months. There is milky white discharge that is constant as well. I have recently been using a new soap, could that be the culprit, or could this be an STD?

Dear ladies, I am 47, and since 5 months have white skin around my clitoris, as if no blood reaches it, sensitive to touch, slightly hardened at some places and the hardened areas are cracked. It was diagnosed by a dermatologist as lichen sclerosis. I was told it is benign skin cancer which, if untreated, could turn into malignant. I was prescribed a cream for three months with a follow up check up to see how it responds. The cause is not known, there is little to no research. There are theories that it might be related to autoimmune problems (where one's own immune system turns against its own body cells), hormonal changes around menopause, even reaction to polluted environment and cosmetics. In some blogs I found a person with HIV and lichen sclerosis (LS) who cured the LS with Beta Mannan.

I believe that Rinsuki has this right. I went to the GYN a couple of months ago for my yearly and she told me there is a problem and it could be cancer or it could be labia minora hyperplasia. She did a biopsy, and thank God nothing. So, now we are treating this with a steroid cream and I am now taking estrogen. I used to be so proud that I never had hotflashes, never had any of the problems with menopause that othe women have had----and now this. I also have not cared at all about having sex, and used to be very active. This is a true bother to me and my husband. So, I am taking testosterone hoping it will help us with that little problem. However, I am happy to report that the steroid cream seems to be helping the labia problem and when I saw my doctor just this past Monday, she told me things are getting back to normal. The color is coming back, so hopefully the pain will be less. Also, there is a bit of harding of areas there, especially at the very back of my labia, sort of the "v" at the back of the vagina opening. It seems that the steroid cream has helped that somewhat. I could tell that just from putting the cream on. It is actually an ointment as it is a bit creasy. So, if you think you may have this problem, it is something you need to have looked at by your doctor because it seems that it is something that can be reversed. I do want to caustion that my doctor told me that is is dangerous to leave it untreated as it can turn into something far worse than just labia minora hyperplasia. So, see your GYN soon. ;-)

Hi ladies,

I'm 24 in a week. I've been experiencing a highly itchy condition on my left labia which spreads to my clitoris sometimes and then swells as though there is water inside. Last week I couldn't stop myself from scratching and there was clear fluid being released onto the labia and it wasn't coming from any cut or my vagina. I have no idea what happened there. And now I just took a look at my downstairs area and I see that the left labia is once again itchy after having applied Daktacort (with Hydrocorisone cream combined) as prescribed by my sex health expert doctor (I trust her a lot) and washing the area everyday in the bath but with cold water. Right now I see that I have a very bleached kinda white shade happening on my labia. This is strange as I've always had it pink and this is awfully weird. The herpes test came back negative as checked just under a month ago and not much has happened since. I'm sexually active, but not had much sex that could have caused this; this problem occurred before I began my sexual life with my current partner (only been a few months). Masturbating becomes difficult too as I experience even last night as the entire area is itchy as hell. Upon scratching it, I get this amazing near-orgasm relief sensation - an itchy downstairs can cause a bit of weirdness, can't it?

I'm scared, oral sex is now making my conscious and I just want to have my clean and healthy genital area back. Any tips, advice, recommendations and/or diagnosis based on this would be appreciated. I hope you all find a remedy to your problems too.

AJ x

My six year old daughter is having symptoms similar to what you all have discribed, white labia, itching, and she has chronic constipation. The closest thing I can find is this: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed lichen-sclerosus. It describes her symptoms very well. I'm taking her to the doctor ASAP.

I too have the white labia and nearly my whole vagina has turned white, I am also experiencing a very thick milky white discharge. I was told by my boyfriend that i taste a lot saltier now and isn't what it was like before. These symptoms came on all of a sudden. I've been to 3 different doctors all OBGYN and they told me it was normal and i know it is not. they have done every STD test possible and everything comes back negative, i would like to know if anyone else on here got a diagnosis of what they had so i can mention it to the doctor. Im 22 now & have been dealing with this for a year.

I am also mid 50s with white labia and itch on the right side which is hard. I also have painful sex at first but with regular sex it goes away. Does anyone thing this is from too much vibrator use on the area? I use it every time I have sex but not everyday or many times a day. Just wondering if anyone else wondered if it caused damage to the labia minor

Interesting about the 6 year old and constipation as I have had that and hard stools too since this began to the point of bleeding so I wondered if all this was dehydration at first. Interesting that I also didn't have many menopausal symptoms and I credited that to acupuncture. This is the first site that really mentions this and none of my friends have it. I also wondered if it was lichen sclerosis. Mine improves sometimes for awhile when I drink lots of water and use a lubricant for itch relief but always returns. Never totally goes away though