A few months ago we had to change the brand of our toilet tissue due to a septic tank problem. I noticed that the new tissue was very irratating. I don't know if this has anything to do with my recent complaint. For the last few weeks I have had burning in the crease of the outer labia. It started on one side and got better and then the other side became irratated. I used a mirror to see why it was burning so bad and there was an area at least an inch maybe longer of a line of cracked skin. I had noticed blood on my underwear so it was most difinantly raw skin. Now there is a small area at one end that looks almost like an ulcer. I don't have any idea what this is. I am self employed and every year I have to decrease my insurance benefits just to be able to keep any kind of insurance. This year I am only allowed 6 doctor visits and then I have to meet a 5000 deductable before I can qualify for a visit with a copay. I have sjogrens syndrome so I cannot afford to use one of my visits for a vaginal problem. Can you help??? Thank you, Trisha

What was the answer to your problem because i have had the same problem? XD

I also have the same problem. Several visits to the OB GYN and anti fungal cream cleared it up but it always comes back. I need a different direction then the usual creams. Could this possibly be some kind of vitamin difficiency? maybe the body is lacking something? Plesase let me know of your findings.

i got the same problem and now it is both sides. i itch alot sometimes bleed a little and its just a line in the crease split open. i have tried all different kinds of creams changed detergents nothing is working. anybody have a clue what this is. i know it is not a std been married for 2years

i have the same problem, on the one side of my outer labia i have a crack in the skin about 2cms in length, it really hurts to touch. What do i need to use to clear it up?

I also have exactly the same problem! I am not sure why it happens, sometimes from toilet paper as well...just cracked skin. Anyone knows the answer?

I have the same problem from time to time. I have HPV but I am only what they call a carrier, I never break out. When asking my OB/GYN about it he told me that I had a yeast infection. Solved the problem for a little while. Still, it comes and goes from time to time.

I have got the same problem as all the people that have written into this conversation.

I am unsure as to what it actually is also but if it is a yeast infection that would make sense...

The BEST thing for yest infections are to take a vitamin called acidofolis (i think thats how you spell it)
you need to keep it in the fridge and i would recommend taking one a day for about 6 months or more to build up a good supply of the little goodies in your system. another thing you can do is eat lots of yoghurt. also to relieve the burning - apparently yoghurt on a tampon is a good natural treatment (not that i have tried that myself yet!)

i would stear clear of any of the medications for thrust / yeast infections that you can buy from the chemist or that your doctor may subscribe as they may kill off the bad bacteria but they also kill all the good stuff too!!

I hope this helps and if i do find any more info out from visiting my GP i will let you know.

in the mean time, try not to wipe to vigorously after the toilet or shower. just pat dry insted. also moisturise because it does help!

I have the same problem also, and I think that it is just extremely dry skin. I don't know about you girls, but it usually happens to me like the week after my period ( where I have had a pad on for a week) or the week after being on antibiotics for something...and the area just becomes very dry and irritated and eventually cracked. I have found if you just clean really well in the shower and then get some non-fragrant lotion for the area it goes away pretty quick. Hope this helps!!!

I just went to see my doctor yesterday about this exact problem. Unfortunately, it seems that at the time i went to see her, the area had actually cleared up a bit, and it was difficult for her to see what I was talking about. She did see that there had been some irritation, however could not give me a diagnosis. She did however ask me about the brand of condoms I used, and that perhaps it could have been an allergic reaction (which I don't actually think is the problem).

What I have been doing to try and relieve the itching, and make the cut just plain go away, is applying Polysporin (with a Q-Tip). While the cut does come back, I've found that Polysporing does help, and perhaps with continued use for a while (even after the itching and the cracked skin seems to have gone away) it will stay away (at least for a longer period of time).

I think it is also important to note that I do have eczema, and don't know whether this has anything to do with it. I have not yet tried any of my eczema creams because they are steroid creams and can make your skin thin out quite a bit. I think applying Polysporin for maybe 1-2 days leading up to my doctor's visit yesterday had something to do with why the area had cleared up.

Best thing to do is just to go see your doctor and have him/her determine what it is. If you get a diagnosis, please post! Thank you.

I have been dealing with this for a long time as well. For years, I have been diagnosed by two different doctors with a "yeast infection." I have never understood this diagnosis because I've never had a problem with discharge or symptoms of what I believe to be a yeast infection...besides, since this is happening OUTSIDE the vagina, can it be a yeast infection-- especially with no discharge happening. It just seems to happen anytime I have sex with my husband or a few days after my period. (So as you can imagine, the pain discourages a healthy sex life -- and to me, that's a big problem...I am just thankful for an understanding husband.)

Recently, I spoke to my mother about this problem, and she suggested I try an over the counter medication called Zeasorb- AF. She has the same problem and Zeasorb AF works for her. It is available in two forms: 1.) Lotion that turns into a powder, and 2.) Powder. Embarrassingly enough, this is a medication that also treats athlete's foot and jock itch of all things...but it works for this horrible cracking skin problem -- so whatever I have to do. It's an anti-fungal medication, so this must be a fungus problem of some sort. It's true, Diflucan (spelling?) will clear up this problem ( I am usually prescribed the one dose treatment and I see relief of some sort within 24 hours). I don't understand why this is called a yeast infection, but like I said, the Diflucan does work for some reason, and to me, that doesn't make a lot of sense (other than it is also an anti-fungal).

Big Warning -- the first few times you apply it, Zeasorb AF lotion BURNS like a MF! You will think you have melted your crotch...it hurts for a few very long seconds, so get ready. But, to me, it's worth that pain because Zeasorb AF lotion also gives very quick relief -- faster than Diflucan. Zeasorb is also available in a powder, but it doesn't work as effectively for me when used alone. I do, however, use the powder to help set the lotion so that it will stay on the affected area without wearing off. Zeasorb AF lotion is very hard to find in pharmacies. I visited 6 before I just broke down and bought it online.

I, like all of you, want to know what to do to prevent this, but so far, I'm just not hearing a good answer.

Thank you so much for posting...I thought I was the only one with this problem.

I have had that same issue. I thought I was the only one! Thank goodness I'm not alone. I think it always happens after my period and if I have sweat alot, like working out or running because I make an extra effort to stay dry so that I don't get a yeast infection. Which in turn I just get these cracks, they bleed a little too. If I keep myself clean and dry and apply a bit of vitamin E oil, I feel so much better after a few days. I hope this helps. I'm so glad that I'm not alone. I hope we all get better and it happens less and less. This is so annoying and painful!

I am so thankful that I found you girls. I just started dealing with this recently. After looking on the internet I was so concerned that I have genital herpes. The only thing is my husband and I got tested before we got married (6 years ago) and both came up clean. Also the cracks don't blister like what is common with herpes. They just itch (a lot) and sometimes bleed. Also I get very red and inflammed.

I never thought of anything like a yeast infection on the skin until my husband mentioned it. It actually does make sense because as some of you mentioned it happens after wearing pads for my period, running or swimming. I tried putting neosporin on the cracks but that made it worse. I went to the store and bought some monistat and the itching immediately eased up. I am still going to the gyno. to get checked out. I was wondering if anyone has been tested for herpes for this?

Well thank you for the tips. I actually might try the vitamin E oil to see if this helps. Can you just get this at a nutritional store like GNC? Good luck with this everyone and take care!

I'm so glad I came across this board, although perhaps a bit disappointed that for everyone here it seems to be an ongoing problem. I have the same problem, and have had for about the past year - though it comes and goes. I've only had the one partner and we've been together for over 4 years, I didn't change toilet paper, washing powder or anything of the kind prior to this beginning...in short, have nothing I can point to as an initial cause. As yet I haven't been to a doctor about it, my situation makes it quite difficult, but it's definitely something I'll be doing soon. I'll let you all know how that goes, and if anything comes of it.
All the best

Hello! Since you have limited insurance, if it were me I would start with my diet. You need to make sure you are eating enough alkalizing foods that will help heal your body. Adding 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water is a start. I only use Evian or Jana b/c they are PH balanced and have bicarbonates in them. Bicarbonates neutralize acids. Then you might want to have your diet consist of 80% veggies. Green ones mostly. No corn is not the type of veggie I mean. The other 20% should be protien like beans, chicken or fish, healthy oils like olive, grapeseed or canola, and whole grains. You are what you eat. Eliminate all processed foods, coffee, soda, alcohol, artificial anything!!!, fruits full of sugar (grapes,watermelon), and diary. Add baked potatoes and some brown rice. Keep track with a diary. If you really want to heal and you can't afford a doctor this is really you best bet. It may help your other autoimmune disorder too! It takes awhile. You probably won't see much difference right away but hang in there. Take control of your own body and health. Also, keep your stress levels down with some form of activity (as long as your doc says ok). I practice yoga and walk my dog. If you let me know your diet we can probably pin point the culprits even better . It is up to you. Try to stay clear of all citrus for a while too. Good health. Laura