Hi there...about two months ago i began to have severe irritation and a swollen labia. it kept getting worse and worse, and finally i got it checked out. they said i had a yeast infection, and gave me some cream insert [7 day treatment] to fix it. but a week later it came back. everday it was the same thing. i went back to a gynecologist [before i went to a free clinic] and the doc gave me a one use insert, and an oral pill. they did not help whatsoever. its been 2 months all together and right now i cant even sleep because the irritation is so bad. it's unlikely that it is an STD...and the doctor's haven't mentioned it. what else could be wrong?? its inflamed and irritated and i do not know what to do!!

PLEEEEEASE HELP ASAP!!! :-(

Hello? What is your hygiene like? I am not trying to say that you are not clean, I just wanted to know if what kind of soaps you use when washing your genitals. I suppose you have already been introduced to harsh effects of strong detergents, fragrant lotions and things like that and that if your skin has been so sensitive, you should wash it with plain water.

I ran into some products that you could use for reducing the swelling and itchiness. Use laundry soaps for babies. Try aquaphor for reducing itching, baking soda sitz baths, and soaking in a bath of camomille tea bags.

Symptoms like: persistent itching or burning pain anywhere on the vulva, a red, pink or white lump with a wartlike or raw surface, painful urination or bleeding, a discharge not associated with your period could all be a sign of vulvitis or vaginitis but it could also indicate vulvar cancer (which is very, very rare).
What kind of tests have you had done at the gynecologist’s?

A couple of months ago (a week before my menstrual period) I began to experience anal itching ... I didn't think much of it until a couple of days later when the itching continued and my vagina became to itch as well...A few days later I came on my period and by this time the itching was uncontrollable! This has been the most horrific ordeal I have ever experienced ... I went to the doctor and she couldn't find any thing significant in my vaginal area but she diagnosed me with vaginitis and advised me to get my sugar levels tested (diabetes) ... I don't have my results back yet ... Sometimes the itching is so intense I get a clean towel and RUB the itching area ... Of course afterwards it's burning like crazy, so I rub vaseline over my entire vaginal area and then place ice on the area ... It is sooooo soothing to do this .. In fact there have times when I could not sleep until I rub the vaseline and ice on my vaginal area ... I have even gone as far as using rubbing alcohol to soothe the itch ... Any recommendations from anyone that has worked?

For about 2 years I too had horrible itching where I scratched constantly and nothing would relieve it. Went to the gynecologist and found out I had Lichen Sclerosus. I had scratched until the flesh had to turned to leather. She said it was a horrible case and I too used a towel to rub the area but nothing would relieve the itching. She prescribed CLOBETASOL cream. It worked! She also said it was a problem that is ongoing and never cured.

About a year ago i was diagnosed with BV. Some of the signs and symptoms posted sound familiar to my reaccuring problems. I have been going to the OBGYN for over 4 years now and they found nothing wrong with me. I switchd doctors and he informed me that i have BV. It is an infection, there are different treatments but not curable. Over the last year, i have had vaginal itching, vaginal irritation, pain after urinating, vaginal swelling, and other symptoms. I have been to many doctors and even to the hospital because of the pain, non of them knew what was wrong with me. My doctor told me that some doctors might not even notice it, or they think that it is a yeast infection. Some people dont even go to the doctot and just get yeast treatment which makes the BV worse. If you are having these problems, you should take a look at BV, and even consult your doctor about this.

I tried the res-Q and it helped me through the day.I have had this problem since 1994 and went off cortisone this last week.. Before that gyno's gave me cleocine for 2 yrs,metrodendizole pills for 9 ys,metro-gel for 1yr and cortisone for 2yrs...Well i do recall going to a dematologist when i was 19 for my head itching. He gave me all kinds of medicated shampoos including tar.. Also some kind of drops to put on my scabes to stop the itching nothing worked.I decided to pour on the conditioner!!! Less shampoo, lots of conditioner.It worked!!! I also rinse my hair with warm water first, then at the end very cold water. So i had a idea why not that end as well!!! I got out of the shower globbed on the pantene conditioner for curly hair -(like i was doing a deep conditioning).Put a fan on for a while then got 2 ice cubes and a cold wash cloth and put it on the parts that were on fire-basically front to back. Sat in front of the tv for at least 2 hrs . Used total 6 or 8 ice cubes. I feel much better! I think i figured it out.Soaps have always been a problem in my family but in different areas. But so has dry, tight itchy skin so... I hope i helped someone out there tonight. It is very depressing when no one really knows whats wrong with you and how to treat it. You know your self better than anyone. :-D

I have exactly the same issues, itchy labia & then later itchy anal. I have no std; I don't use soap for the area; wear cotton underwear...blah blah...nothing works. I put on cream every night for 2 years. Hydrozole only stop the itch for a short time, at the worst nights, I wake up from the itch that I need to put the cream on every 2 hours! It is worst before period, and also at night when sleep. I went to countless doctors, they are all hopeless. One even suggested I imagined the itch!

After about 3 years of sleepless night, I saw a chinese herbalist.He told me my body is lacking something (sorry, a medical term I don't know how to tranlsate in english). He told me to take vitamin B2, and gave me 3 days doses of chinese herbs, but he said his herbs is only a temporary help, I utlimately need to watch my diet, as that is what contribute to the itch. After I took his herb, the itch stopped for 1 whole month! Imagine my joy! His result of the herbs made me take his advice seriously about my diet

I started to monitor what food makes me itchy. (I started to live alone 3 years ago, and started to eat out daily, 2-3 times a week to McDonald, loads of takeaway.) So the timeframes matches with when my itch started. It took the next 6 months to work out the guilty food are : MSG related food (eg. Chinese / thai takeaway), premade sauces with loads of perservative are the worst offenders (eg: woistershire sauce, bbq sauce, oyster sauce, teriyakki sauce, Maggie's type dinner sauces, Campbell's soup, fish sauces, sweet & chilli sauces etc etc). I started to cook my own food with only fresh ingredience

5 years later, my diet is completely changed. Although it has not completely cure it 100%, but it has cure 90% of it. I no longer need to put cream on since I am not usually itchy. I am now only itchy few days before my periods, or if I have eaten any of the offending food ,Even then, the itch will only last 2-3 hrs if I eat offending food group. i only have to apply cream then. (as all steroid cream thins your skin, it's not good for long term use)

lastly, I found oranges helps dramatically. When I have eat an orange that night, I itch even less. Must be something to do with the acid?

hope this helps someone, as this has been an ongoing problems for me in the past, and I know how stressful it can become

One of the last posts said they were diagnosed with BV. WHat is that?

I have had this crazy itch for 4 years. At first I thought is was a yeast infection and spent hundreds on meds. Then I read that it could be related to yeast and you should watch your diet and stay away from sugars, products with yeast. I got the book "The Yeast Connection". I do think diet has something to do with the persistent itch. I also read that the thinning of the vaginal skin if you are in a menopausal age may cause this condition. Some times it is worse than others. I definately think hormones or lack thereof play a huge part in this awful malady. I use those steroid cremes sometimes at night hoping to get a good nights sleep.

A friend shared this with me, and I have found some relief. Not a cure, just relief. Douse the area with pure pomegranate juice. After about 5 minutes, The itching and swelling are endurable. Since discovering this, I keep a bottle in the bathroom and use it two or three times a day.

I've had vulvar itching for many years. My first dr. told me it was a stress itch cycle. My hygiene is excellent-no perfumes, soaps, only cotton and loose fitting clothes, etc.

I've had prescribed benadryl, hydrocortisone, nystatin, and triamcinolone (sp?).

Now a dr. (a new one for me) highly recommended a biopsy.

I'm not too thrilled, but I want the itch cycle to end. All of the posts sound just like my problem.

Comments appreciated.

Saja

Oh my gosh, I can't believe that no one has had a gyno suggest that it is a lack of estrogen. At least in my case after age 50. Also calamine lotion which is very cheap is also very effective and loose clothing. Tight shorts and jeans seem to bring on and make condition worse. Hope this helps some people out there. Also hormore cream Estrace helpful.

i have had this problem a few times. it burned to urinate. so i thought it was a urinary trac infection. some of the symptoms were the same like "feelign that you have to urinate, and only a few drops come out" but i dont have nausea or vomitting like it said also. so i thought it was a trac infection. but when i excuse me, wipe myself, there would be a few pink spots of blood.

and i am due for my period also. i think i am running a little late on it, and i hope my burning problem isn't the cause of me not getting my period yet. so i'm a bit worried.

It may be vaginosis. It took 3 doctors to finally get mine diagnosed and cured. Good luck!

Like many of you out there I too have been the victim of terrible itching. However, I have been extremely lucky. My doctor immediately diagnosed lichen sclerosus and prescribed a cream, dermovate (clobatesol) , which has worked wonders. I noticed an improvement as soon as I started using it.

hi
I just had my second bout of vulva itching in the past half year. Never had anything like that before. No stds. It was terrible! Sore too.

I have used camomile for eye infections (sties etc.) with great success in the past and thought I'd give it a try here too. It worked amazingly, the infection was gone in a couple of days and I got instant relief the moment I applied it (make a strong tea, then dab it on while still warm using kitchen towel. Pat to dry a bit. Do this several times a day after washing and urinating and before going to bed at night.

I still don't know what I had and I didn't see a doctor. The first bout went away for a couple of months, so I knew it wasn't a more serious condition. Anybody with persistent condition should see a doc of course, not use home remedies. But for yeast infections, which is what I think this was, it worked great for me.

Not sure why I got this but I suspect it's because of not washing soap residue off properly. We are renovating our bathroom and have been 'catwashing' instead of showering for 6 months. As that more or less corresponds to the onset of the itching, I think it has something to do with it. Now I wash down there in warm water only, no flannel.
hope it helps :-)
isobel