I was chatting with my girlfriend about tonight's long run, and she wondered if all runners thought this way. I said probably not, but someone must .... Left and right brain fought away. At the House L: w00ty w00t! Going long again! Sooo excited! - R: Dude, we were just out for 15 on Sunday. Give me and the legs a break already. L: Too bad - race on Saturday. Gotta do it today to stay on track. - R: For what? Those marathons are four months away! L: Heavy fall race schedule. High hopes means high mileage. Shut up - I packed the fuel belt. Let's go. Half Hour In L: Time for half a bottle of Gatorade. Gotta test the hydration theory. - R: If you're going to make me go long, don't stop. I'm not thirsty. You brought too much to drink anyway. L: Too bad. Every half hour we drink. Hour and a Half In L: Hot damn I'm thirsty. Gotta conserve my beverages, though. Must decrease reliance on them if I can as per doc. - R: Dude, it's 82 degrees with 91% humidity! I'm hungry. I've been smelling those damn Nabisco cookies being baked at the factory for over an hour now. FIND ME WATER! THERE! THERE'S SOME! L: You're hallucinating. That's not a water fountain. There are none to be found within miles from here. - R: So let's write a letter to Congressman Kenney. "Hey you Republican guy I voted for - you're from my 'hood. Gimme a water fountain in the industrial park, and while you're at it, one in Somerton Park. Signed, the Socialist who voted for you." Two and a Half Hours In L: OK, I admit the legs hurt a bit. Gotta keep going though, or I'll be pissed. I'm really thirsty, though. - R: Just run up to that house! Or that house! Or that house! They have hoses! L: I have a better idea. <here I make a new best friend, Jimmy, who gave me a bunch of ice when I walked through the Burger King drivethrough> - R: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can we stop now? I'm so bored, I'm tired, and I'm hungry and thirsty. L: No, for there are many runners out today. Perhaps one of them is a spy sent by Coach to make sure we're training well. - R: You're insane. You know that, don't you? L: Yeah well, I'm tired and thirsty and hungry, too. Clif Shots and Thermolyte capsules are not adequate substitutes for food. And now all I can smell is Burger King and that Chinese fooooood place .... Two Hours and 45 Minutes In L: YES! Rain! That is cool and refreshing despite the torrential downpour washing all the salt into our eyes. And no need to worry about getting wet; these clothes have been wet for so long the Coolmax has become like Teflon. The water just bounces off! - R: Dude, it's thunder and lightning. For the love of all that is holy, let's bail. Enough today. This is too dangerous. And while we're at it, let's have that last full bottle of Gatorade! L: OK, and OK. Three Hours In L: OOH! The rain stopped! Let's keep going! - R: NOOOOO! You promised we'd cut this short! I want to go home now! There's stuff to drink there, and we have nothing left! L: Just a few more miles ... just a few more .... This continued. The rain came back, then went away, came back, and went away again. After all this I did not manage to complete my planned 18 miles. I instead ran 18.1. 8) And damn fast for me, too, despite the heat and humidity.

so sorry you caught my head virus........soo glad I'm over it!!!!!!!!!

2.5 hours is enough torture for me. :D--- the extra is for race day only!!

Yes, but you forget - you run literally twice as fast as me!

I'm a woman skater? those sound a lot like the cinversations i get going. but those are the times i see i am a good self-conversationalist.

This is like Being John Malkovich...where is the little door?

I think that is how my brain was during the last half of my 50K!!!!

Except no rain. Just thoughts of beer, quitting, can't quit or my running buddies think I am a wimp, screw them, back to beer, and repeat.