Excluding any injury recovery, what is that shortest distance you'll bother lacing up and getting sweaty for?

The shortest distance on my schedule is 6.5 miles, but I'll go as low as 5. I really like the 7-8 mile distance, but time doesn't always allow me to go that far.

3 miles for me.

3 miles for me.

ditto

Pre-injury, I was doing 5-6 for my daily run x 4 days and a longer run on the weekends. I can't wait til I can build back up to that. :(

3 miles, most of the times my runs are 4+ though.

no distance too short here!

I ran a 1600 this summer, and wouldn't mind doing a 800 or 400 either.

I suck at sprinting, but the 200 and 100 are over so quick, they wouldn't bother me.

3 miles for me too

2.25 miles, or one fast lap around the old reservoir. I usually do it at least twice, though.

20 minutes (2.5 miles or so)

This is an excellent question, and one I think about a lot. I used to try to get out even if it was just for a while, and then I began to get lazy. I would "go out" and come back 1/2 hour later (including my 5-minute warm-up jog) more and more frequently.

So I began to tell myself I couldn't go out if I wasn't going to do 3 miles. It worked; after a couple of days of not feeling like 3 miles, therefore not getting out, my body began to whine loudly regarding neglect. So I got out.

Now I try to do at least my Joy Acre run, which is a street not too far down and almost exactly 4 miles. This is one of about 10 head games I've developed in my running career.

This is one of about 10 head games I've developed in my running career.What are the other 9?

What are the other 9?
I've got this thing I use if something starts feeling uncomfortable or downright hurting; I mutter, "work it out, work it out" under my breath. It must be a demonstration of the mind's power over the bod, 'cause it usually works and the area stops hurting. I stopped caring a long time ago about what people are probably thinking when they see a woman running down the road talking to herself.
And then if I don't get out of bed, I allow myself the only times I think deeply about my life before I got in shape. Usually gets my ass moving.
There are more, but you're probably asleep by now...

If time is limited I'll try to squeeze in at least 3 miles but I mostly like getting in 5 or more

I'm with Joe, 20 minutes for me...

I also will run for a minimum of 20 minutes. Most of my runs are in the evening after work, so a lot depends on what time I leave there and what time the sun sets. I prefer to get at least 30 minutes in, and all of my runs are on trails rather than roads... except for the occasional 5k road race.

Hey, this is my first post on runningforums. Thanks to purple hayes for posting about this forum on bikeforums.com, my main 'haunt'. This looks like a great place to further my education about running. I've only recently gotten attached to the sport -- this past April. I hope you don't mind putting up with another newbie! :D