Any tips on racing in the rain? It looks like I've got a 40% chance of rain for my 1/2 marathon this Sunday. I really haven't run in rain too often. This past Saturday I ran 6 miles in a downpour. It wasn't so bad, except for my feet were soaked through, but I didn't develop any blisters.

Should I try to keep my feet dry up to race time? Carry bandaids?

Pack dry clothes for after the race. Wear a hat if you like.

In the 3 years I have been racing I have only run 2 races int he rain. My wife who has run all of 4, ran 2 in the rain. her first and her longest. (A half marathon.)

Racing in the rain can be a lot of fun, and a PIA. If you think it is gonna rain, make sure you bring somethng to put in you clothes bag for after the race to dry off and keep warm. I have a lightweight rain jacket that I use.

While running I would suggest NOT taking off your sneakers until after the race. If you get a blister, either un through it or stop if it gets too bad. I made that mistake in IMFL and I never got my shoe to be even somewhat comfortable. I was bad before, but it was horrid after.

Garbage bags work great as tossable clothing. Just rip holes for the arms and head and you can just tear it off as you warm up, or it stops raining.

Good luck and we'll be waiting for the RR.

Sheldon

Chaffing can be a big problem if your clothes get soaking wet, so take the appropriate precautions.

I'll second the trash bag comment. Don't be too quick to toss it. I ran the first half of a marathon with a trash bag on, and I was surprised it was quite comfortable and even without arm holes it didn't constrict my movement at all even at 6:15 pace. I made the mistake of thinking I was wet enough that I tossed it. I got extremely cold very quickly.

That brings on another point, which is keep moving in the race and get into dry clothes right after. You might be plenty warm racing in the rain, but once you stop you can really get yourself in trouble if you are wet and cold.

Body Glide.

sunglasses and/or hat to keep some of it out of your eyes.

Good luck!

Pay particular attention to your shoes. Tie your shoes and warm up lightly 5 to 10 mins. then re-tie your shoes.
Garbage bags in my opinion should be BANNED once you toe the line. I don't know how many people I have seen come down in a heavy fall slipping on discarded plastic bags.
If the conditions are too wet for the plastic bag wearers perhaps they should not even start and spend the day indoors doing some knitting.
The conditions are the same for everyone.
As far as blisters go Kimba; you win em' and wear em', If its a race you tend to them after the race.

I have glasses...should I leave them at home when I run in the rain or have them on the nose?
If I don't wear them I am going to see worst and If I weare them I'll see only a rain on the glass :shrug:

Depends on how bad your vision is. My eyesight is terrible and it would be dangerous to run without glasses. So for me, I'll take the annoying rain on the glasses... at least you can kind of see.

I guess it is more or a personal preference. I never run with my glasses. Even in trail races. I don't wear contacts either. I should state that my eye sight is not very bad. I can legally drive without my glasses.