I am 55 years old. I just had a complete hysterectomy because of a mass on my left ovary. My physician was originally ruling out PCOS and ordered a pelvic sonogram when they found the mass. I have been gaining a lot of weight. Over the past 6 months I have gained almost 50 lbs. My physician has put me on Glucophage because my insulin is high. My glucose is normal (75). He says I have hyperinsulinism and this is causing my liver to not function properly. I hate the way the Glucophage makes me feel and don't seem to be losing weight after 1 week. Am I expecting too much too soon? Also is there anything an endocronologist might be able to help me in a better way?

For weight loss, it may take between 1 and 5 weeks after starting metformin to see any results. However, you will not necessarily lose weight as it is only a side effect of metformin.

For regulating blood sugar, metformin should work within a few days or a few weeks at the most.

For women with PCOS to restore a regular, normal menstrual cycle, it may take from 4 to 8 weeks.