I had a scare with my seven year old son recently - we we under the impression that there was something seriously wrong with his eyesight, and the doctor even suggest corneal disease at some point. My son did end up with glasses, which annoys him no end, but we are relieved! It did trigger an interest in corneal disease in school children for me though, as the pedi mentioned this was on the rise. Do you have any figures on how common this is?

I am under the impression that corneal disease and the prevalence of it is greatly influenced by environmental factors. I did read on several occasions that corneal disease in school children is very common in some African countries, especially Nigeria and Zambia. I am convinced that pollution, poor hygiene and lack of proper medical care plays a key role in this fact.

Thank you for your answer; that is quite fascinating. I am sure you are right when it comes to the reasons for corneal disease in school children in the case of Africa. I was really looking for some information that is relevant to North America and perhaps Western Europe though. If anyone has any, please add it here.