Hello. Are there any dog lovers here? I am a big fan of dogs, and I was even close to become a proud owner of a Siberian Husky. I live in Minnesota and they say that here is an ideal living environment for huskies because they like cold whether. But that idea fell apart cause I had to get a roommate and she hates dogs (she must be a really nice person -.- ). Now, a friend of mine has a husky and she told me that if I want to, she can bread her husky in six months from now and give me a puppy. I was thrilled with that idea since I will have been living alone for two months by then. The only thing that bothers me is that her husky has hip dysplasia. Does anyone know is this an inherited problem?

Hey.

You are at the right place. :)

There are a lot of dog lovers and you don’t need to be scared about getting your answer :)

I don’t have so much experience with dogs but I can tell you what I know about this issue that bothers you :) Well, hip dysplasia is an inherited condition that is resulted from an improperly formed hip joint. The joint is loose and the dog’s leg bone is moving around too much. That is the main cause why dog is in pain.

Usually, your dog wont’ show any symptom of this disease :/

Hey there.
I am really sorry to hear this. I need to tell you that I was almost sure that this is not an inherited problem :/ Can you explain more?
I know that each case is totally different and that case depends on dog. Hip dysplasia can begin to develop when your dog is puppy/ Usually this condition is not noticeable in dogs when they are young but it is noticeable in dogs in their middle ages. Or even later.
But because this is an inherited problem is there any way to prevent it when your dog is still a puppy?

Hello. Look Guest I think that you can prevent it because it is inherited. You need to learn how to live with it. And I don’t have experience with it but according to my friends it is not that hard. My good friend Richy has a dog who is diagnosed with hip dysplasia issue and it is nothing serious. Hip dysplasia is one of very common skeletal diseases in dogs. Remember, gender is not the factor but some breads are more likely to get it, such as German shepherd, Labrador retriever, Great Dane, etc. It often begins when your dog is still very young.

Hey guys,

I think exactly the opposite of you, Dog Whisperer. Isn't it more logical that if it is an inherited disease, than it cannot be prevented? I think so.

I doubt that it is an inherited disease, it doesn't look like a type of disease that could be inherited. Besides, inherited diseases are usually passed on to every second generation so you wouldn't have to deal with it anyway. 

Huskies do love cold weather and I'm sure he would love living in Minnesota. As long as you treat him right, of course.

Don't worry about this thing, wish you all the best with your new dog. :)

Hello everyone.

I am not an expert for those situations but I have to agree with Dalmatian lover. Actually you told me exactly what my good friend who is a huge fan of dogs and he knows a lot about them told me today.

There is good way to prevent this disease, especially if you have Husky.

So I don’t believe that this is an inherited problem.

With regular check and tests I am sure that your dog is going to be just fine. It is not a huge problem and it can be treated very successful.

Good luck with it and I hope that you and your dog are going to have amazing relationship :)

Actually, Carla and Dalmatian Lover, this is an inherited problem. It is a complicated pattern of inheritance with multiple genes involved. It usually happens when your dog is still young, a puppy, when he turns four months. Larger breeds usually have more chances to suffer from canine hip dysplasia so I'm sorry to say that this Husky might have canine hip dysplasia.

It will be easy to notice if he happens to have it, he will have trouble rising and he will resist to jump or climb stairs. If you notice these things, you can treat it, although, as far as I know, surgery is the best option here.

Hey everyone. It totally is! It is an inherited problem and anyone who tells you the opposite are wrong. Several factors contribute to the development of this problem but some breeds are more likely to genetically inherit hip dysplasia. So, not all the dogs but some of them such are German Shepherds, Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Rottweiler, St. Bernard’s etc. Those are just some of the breeds and you can find a full list online. But of course some dogs can get it for some other factors such are dysplasia including diet, weight gain and exercise. I know pretty much about this issue.

Hey everyone. Today I was talking with my vet about this issue because I can tell you that I am a little bit scared about it as well. He told me exactly what Dog Whisperer wrote in here. So I have to agree with Dog Whisperer totally. Hip dysplasia develops in young, growing dogs. All you need to do is observe signs.

They are usually noticed as early as four to six weeks of age. But still there is no link between age and severity of this condition and that means that some very young puppies can be debilitated very early.