Hello! My friend has problems with depression. He takes his medicines as his doctor prescribed but it seems they are not so effective. His condition became worse last week and he was taken to the hospital. I think he needs different approach to his illness. I have hard about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Is Cognitive Behavioral therapy effective?

Hello! Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is proved to be very effective in cases of depression. If a patient suffers from severe depression then antidepressant medicines are also used. Many people think that the best result in treating of depression is a combination of medicines and psychotherapy. The therapist listens, teaches and encourages, while the client talk about concerns, learns and implement that learning.

Celebrity
Cbt is the best thing that ever happened to me and I recommend it to people all the time for anxiety, panic attacks and depression. join a group pick up a copy of Been there, done that? Do this! By sam obitz (tao3.com) and start doing the tea form exercise in it. If you do them daily you will get relief sooner than you thought possible. Just remember that the more you work on the exercises the more relief you get. Good luck.

Celebrity
Bambie, did you ever give CBT a try? I certainly hope you have because it gave me my life back and hopefully will do the same for you :-D

Cbt is awesome. Highly recommended. We used that book in my cbt group.

Celebrity
No question that CBT is great stuff but you have to work at it. If you do the work and counter your thoughts in the tea form all the time you'll get the results you want :idea:

JR1, I agree, but it also needs to be pointed out that you have to be willing to do the exercises like the TEA form everyday for a while to get relief and some people want a miracle cure which it is not. Nothing I have tried worked nearly as well as CBT including meds but some people don't want to work at getting better an pills are probably the most relief they'll ever get.

Celebrity
Jaylene,

That is a very valid point! You have to do the work, it is not magic. It's like gardening, you don't just go to a class on gardening and expect to bear fruit in your garden several months later based on the knowledge you received at the class. You have to do the steps that enable your garden to come to fruition and then you get to reap the rewards/harvest. But if you do the work, you will receive the benefits of the tea form and other cbt exercises :D

Celebrity
Wishing Jaylene and everyone a Happy New Year and one with better skills to manage your anxieties
:-D

CBT and TEA forms are the best thing for overcoming anxiety but you have to work on them.

Celebrity
I received a note from the moderator asking me to write an article here on CBT and how it worked for me. I don't have the details yet, but look for it here in the near future.

Celebrity
Just a quick update for those who are interested. I am going to try and finish my article by the end of the month :-)

Celebrity
FYI- The article got finished so look for it in the near future on here. I hope it is helpful to some of you guys :-D

Good job JR. Where did they put it in the forum? I would enjoy reading it and might share my story with CBT too. One of the mods (Jenny) asked me to also but if yours is really good maybe she won't want me too now %-)

Celebrity
They said they would notify me when they put it up and I have not been notified yet, so I assume they have a backlog still. I'll let you know when I get notified that it has been posted and thanks for the interest. I hope you share your cbt story too.