I wish I had been more careful and listened more to my friend but I guess I did not take her condition so seriously. She has been suffering from depression for the past couple of months and it all ended with a suicide attempt. She has been at the hospital for only 5 days and then she was released. I always thought that hospitalization is necessary after failed suicide attempt. Is that a standard procedure?

I think that the standard hospitalization lasts for about a week. And only if the psychiatrist gives the permission, the patient may leave the hospital. This all means that she was announced capable of functioning well, mentally I mean. Of course, I assume that at this moment she will need all the help and support she can get, so be there for her.

And far more important, than being there for her, is to try together with her family and her psychiatrist to find the cause of suicide attempt. Usually where is one attempt, there is probably another one, so you must quickly try to do everything you can to help her.

Although be sure that she is taking her medications and that she is drinking them. Depression can be very hard for the other people because we don’t understand what is happening in their heads. My sister was always telling me that in her world I don’t exist so I know how difficult it can be trying to help to someone who doesn’t want to be helped. I hope that everything will turn out just fine.