I have noticed some vaginal discharge on my underwear. The amount varies with menstrual cycle, during the week following a period there is hardly any discharge, and what there is has a thick consistency. Sometimes the amount increases and it becomes thin, slippery and clear, like uncooked egg white. When it is exposed to the air it becomes yellow or even brownish. Because of that I have feeling of moistness and stickiness. This discharge does not causes irritation or itching, it does not smell, but makes me worry. That’s why I would like to know what is that and does it have to mean I have some STD (sexual transmitted disease).

Most woman have vaginal discharge. When I was in puberty I have noticed that for the first time and it makes me so worry. But I check it with my gynecologist and I found that the amount of discharge is different from woman to woman. Some of them have a little discharge now and than, some of them have it every day. It is normal because the vagina stays moist as part of its self-cleansing mechanism. Normal discharge contains dead cells and bacteria from vagina. Discharge is produced by glands in the cervix (that is the neck of the womb), and is slightly acid. This is not very favorably environment for “unfriendly” bacteria, and keeps infections at bay. The acidity results from lactic acid, which is made by “friendly” bacteria. Important thing is to see difference between normal and abnormal vaginal discharge. Any change in color could be a sign of a vaginal infection, which are very common and, unfortunately, most women will experience some form of a vaginal infection in lifetime. Signals of vaginal infection and not just normal discharge is for example discharge accompanied by itching rash or soreness, persistent and increased discharge, burning on skin during urination, grey/white or yellow/green discharge ...... If you do not have any of those symptoms, there is nothing to be worry about because as I said vaginal discharge is normal.

Hi there,

The vaginal discharge you describe in your post sounds like TEXTBOOK normal vaginal discharge. Vaginal discharge in general is normal and there to clean your vagina, as well as changing with your menstrual cycle. The stretchy, uncooked egg white mucus you describe helps sperm get past your cervix more easily while you are in your fertile period, for instance, and the thicker white discharge you see before your period repels sperm. 

If you feel your vaginal discharge is very irritating, you could try wearing a panty liner to feel cleaner. Meanwhile, if it changes and your discharge becomes yellow, green, itchy, or smells bad, that's when you have to see your doctor about a possible infection.