Hello there. My name is Nina and I am 19 years old. I had intercourse with my boyfriend for the first time. Since then I have this weird vaginal discharge that is yellow and thick. I don't want to tell my mom about this because I am scared of her reaction. And I really don't know what to do. I am even scared to google something about it.

So I was hoping that you can help me in here. Can you tell me what this could be? Is it dangerous? Is it really necessary to visit gynecologist?

Tnx a lot!

I don't know if it is necessary to visit your gynecologist but it is definitely smarter. Your vaginal discharge should always be white or see through and should never smell badly. If your vaginal discharge is yellow, it means that there is something wrong and it would definitely be the best if you would go to your gynecologist in order to see what is wrong. Yellow vaginal discharge can mean that you are having gonorrhea or trichomoniasis, or maybe bacterial vaginosis. These are just some of the possible causes of yellow vaginal discharge, you really want to visit your gynecologist in order to know for sure what is going on.

How long have you known this guy? Is it possible that he had some sort of an infection or something, any kind of disease which he could pass on to you? We are talking about some serious things here because your vaginal discharge shouldn't be yellow and there is definitely something causing its color to turn to yellow. You need to see your gynecologist and I would suggest to you that you do that as soon as you can because if there is anything wrong, it would be a lot better if you could start treating it as soon as you can.

I think that yellow is usually a sign of gonorrhea but it might as well be a sign of an infection. I don't think that you should have an intercourse again, you should really get things checked before you decide to do that. 

Have you visited a gynecologist before? If you haven't, you don't have to worry about it, it is normal and you will see it when you go there for the first time. I definitely think that seeing a gynecologist is what you need at this moment because an abnormal color of your vaginal discharge can mean that there is something dangerous going on.

You are very likely to have an infection called trichomoniasis. It is an infection caused by tiny parasite called trichomonas vaginalis. One other symptom is an itchy vagina, is your vagina maybe itchy?

Anyway, as soon as you think that you have an infection which you might be having now, it is very necessary to go and see your gynecologist. You don't want to mess with these nasty vaginal infections so it's better to go and check things out and see if you are really having an infecting and if you are, you will be able to start treating it at the very moment.

Well, when we are talking about discharge, yellow and thick vaginal discharge is abnormal discharge. Also, usually that discharge has this odd smell so it definitely needs to be controlled. Maybe it is nothing, maybe it is just because of some change I don't know, but I would not wait to see what is going to happen and will you get better after a while. My good friend also had some yellowish / green discharge and it turns that she was dealing with yeast infection. That is why you should not wait, I think that you should go and consult your gynecologist about this. Good luck.

Look, don't scare her. Sure, she should see the specialist and consult him about this, but generally, this type of discharge can be harmless. I was dealing with it more than 5 times and I do know what am I telling you.

With yellowish discharge usually comes brown as well. Now, the main cause of yellowish or brown vaginal discharge is often a common and usually harmless issue, and I think that somebody already told this in here. Occasional spotting between periods might have this appearance and can be normal, especially if you're taking low-dose birth control pills. 

Sure, it can also be a sign of some infection, but very rare. I am sure that this will go away very soon. 

Look, it is very wrong to give her advice that this is probably nothing and that this type of discharge is harmless. You should know that any changes in type, structure, and color of your discharge can be caused by some bacteria. Generally, some types of bacterial infections that may cause yellow or brown discharge are sexually transmitted, including Chlamydia and gonorrhea.

I don't want to scare anyone, but as long as you wait to see your gynecologist, you can make yourself a bigger problem. 

It can be that you just caught a cold, but you don't know that until you do some tests. 

Good luck.