Hello everyone,

I was wondering about this ever since I had my first vaginal discharge because I had no idea what was going on and why was this happening and this question hasn't been answered to me to this day. I guess that is why I decided to post my question here, I've noticed that there are a lot of questions here regarding vaginal discharge which are answered by people so I assumed that someone might be able to help me here as well. So can anyone please tell me if you know what are the purposes of a normal vaginal discharge?

There basically 4 types of vaginal discharge, the normal one that you are talking about is the vaginas way of cleaning itself.
The second is cervical mucus, which comes out when you are getting ready to release your egg during ovulation, this fluid is clear and can watery or stretchy and is there to help the male sperm get to your egg for fertilisation.
The 3rd is produced when you are sexually aroused and is there to lubricant that vagina so intercouse and other sexual activities can take place.
The 4th is period bleeding

Hey guys,

It is just how the person above me explained it, normal vaginal discharge is a way in which your vagina cleans itself (because she knows that you aren't going to do it instead). This is a very important process and if you ever notice that your vaginal discharge has a different color or if you notice that it is smelly, you should contact your doctor as soon as you can in order to get some tests done and check if everything is okay. Different colors of vaginal discharge can mean that different things are wrong and some of these might be dangerous.

Its purpose is just to keep your vagina clean. You don't have to think about this and you don't have to worry about this unless some day you notice that your vaginal discharge is not normal, which would mean that it has some weird color or it became smelly. But until that day comes (and it might never come), you have nothing to worry about so you don't have to think about it at all. If it happens that you do notice these bad changes regarding your vaginal discharge, you are supposed to talk to your doctor as soon as you notice this.

It is just like others have told you, its purpose is to clean your vagina. I freaked out when I had my first vaginal discharge, I was 14 back then and I was so scared, I just went to talk to my mom and I had this weird look on my face which she said she is going to remember until the day she dies, and I told her what happened. She just smiled and said that it was normal and that it happens to every woman, I actually hated the fact that this thing is going to happen more than once.

I remember when I started getting to know myself better when I was a teen girl, my mom was talking to me telling me that I need to observe my body. Every change in my body should be monitored and controlled, she said. She told me that vaginal discharge and my stool are something that I need to observe. So I did. Because of it, I have learned so many things about it. For example, the main purpose of normal vaginal discharge is for cleaning and moistening the vulva, and helping to prevent and fight infections. I know that a lot of us are not so OK with that, that we do have discharge, but that is normal...Totally normal.

Hello. Here is some very useful link and I think that you can find it helpful.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/vaginal-discharge-knowing-the-difference-between-normal-discharge-and-infection

Anyway, some people still haven't learned about normal vaginal discharge and they don't know that this can vary from case to case, and it can vary somewhat in texture and color. Sometimes, your discharge can be somewhat thin, sticky, and elastic or thick and gooey. Vaginal fluids should be clear, white, or off-white in color.

If you are not sure what is the normal type and texture of discharge, you should consult your gynecologist and ask him about any doubt that you have.

You will learn a lot about it. 

I agree that it is very important to observe it. Getting to know your discharge will help you to know yourself better. So, normal vaginal discharge helps in keeping vaginal tissues healthy. Also, when you have normal discharge it can help you provide lubrication and protect against infection and irritation. But I think that this is something that you already know. Also, an amount, color, and consistency of normal vaginal discharge vary, and I know that you here could find a lot of examples. It also depends on your period. It is very easy to know when discharge is normal and when it is not.