I have had repeated yeast infections for the past 2 years. The doctor has just instructed me to just treated all of them the same way. I treat them but as soon as i have sex, it usually comes right back, wether i use pertection with my partner or not. Right now i have a thick white discharge, but it doesn't look like cottage cheese. It looks more like lotion. There is no smell, and very, very seldom do i itch. there is also no inflamation or vaginal redness. Should i treat this like a yeast infection? ?

I think what you have is BV (bacterial vaginosis) and not a yeast infection. I had the same problem and it was BV
So next time you see a doctor suggest that you fear you might have BV

It sounds like lactobaccili. You should see a Gyn and get it tested. You won't fix lactobaccili with yeast infection meds. Could also be BV but I'd expect smell and itching. Any way you put it you need to find a good vaginal balance.

And if you're getting yeast infections all the time try another medication. Like Monistat does not work for me but GyneLotrimin does. I'd also treat who ever your having sex with and if your still getting them then have him wash regularly with cider vinegar.

I agree with the person who said that a lactobacillus should be considered, especially if other causes of thick white discharge, like trich, bacterial vaginosis, and yeast infections, have already been ruled out, or when you keep thinking you have a yeast infection but that "yeast infection" doesn't respond to antifungal drugs as it should, indicating it is actually something else. 

A lot of the time, doctors just assume you have a yeast infection, but if it is not thick and clumpy and does not itchy, those are subtle discharge differences that show you probably have something else. I would find a new doctor. 

Written by : Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD

All women have vaginal discharge at some time or the other in their lives. This vaginal discharge may be normal - that is, it may be due to a normal physiological process in the body.

Vaginal discharge is termed abnormal or pathological when the discharge is due to some disease process.

Most women are unaware of the causes of normal vaginal discharge and may get unduly distressed. Some may even present themselves at the doctor's chambers for treatment.

Increased vaginal discharge is normal at some time during the menstrual cycle due to increased cervical secretions.

The vagina is the passage that connects the internal reproductive organs with external female anatomy or the Vulva. The glands of the vagina and cervix secrete small amounts of fluid to cleanse out the vagina of any pathogenic organism. Some of this fluid may leak out and cause a normal vaginal discharge.

The ph of the vagina is normally acidic, preventing disease-producing organism from growing. This ph is maintained by a variety of organisms that grow normally in the vagina. Of these, one of the commonest organism is Doderlein's bacilli, a type of lactobacilli.

The normal vaginal discharge also contains tissue fluids, old vaginal and cervical cells, WBC's, glycogen, electrolytes, proteins and lactic acid.

Normal Vaginal Organisms
as seen on a slide under
the microscope

Vaginal Discharge without Itching

Vaginal discharge without itching may be:

Normal or Physiological.Abnormal or Pathological- due to some disease process.

Normal Vaginal Discharge without Itching

Normal vaginal discharge that occurs at various times in a woman's life is thin and clear or faintly cloudy. It turns yellowish when dry. It may sometimes be seen as a stringy discharge sticking to your underwear. It does not smell and does not cause itching or burning of the vagina.

Although many people use the term ‘leucorrhoea’ synonymously with all types of vaginal discharge, it should be restricted to mean an excessive amount of normal discharge.

Usually the amount of vaginal discharge is such as to just moisten the vaginal opening and to occasionally leave a stain on the undergarments. But it can be increased at certain times:

During ovulation: The term "Ovulation" is used to describe the release of an ovum from a woman's ovaries once in every menstrual cycle. Fertilization of an ovum by sperm causes pregnancy.

At around the time of ovulation, the level of oestrogen in the body increases, stimulating the glands of the cervix. These secrete large amounts of clear, watery fluid. The main function of this cervical discharge is to help any sperm deposited in the vagina to swim up through the uterus. This secretion is usually copius, thin and watery, clear with occasional specks of white. and quite stretchable.

Since, ovulation occurs about 14 days after your last menstrual period, you will notice that your secretions also increases at around this time.

Just before the menses / periods : You will sometimes notice that your vaginal discharge increases a day or two before your period begins. The discharge becomes gradually brownish or reddish as the bleeding starts. The day the vaginal discharge becomes brownish is counted as the first day of your period.

During pregnancy : During pregnancy, the level of oestrogen and progesterone increases in the body. These hormones are needed to maintain the pregnancy and help the baby to grow. They also stimulate the glands of the cervix to secrete large amounts of fluid, especially in the early part of pregnancy. These fluids then appear as copious vaginal discharge during pregnancy that is thick and whitish. The discharge is sticky without any smell.

During sexual excitement : Sexual excitement causes the secretion of a thin watery fluid that wets and lubricates your vagina to make penetration of the penis and the sexual act easier.

At birth : Many newborn female babies have a mucoid vaginal discharge lasting for the first few days of birth. This is in response to the stimulation of their genital organs by maternal oestrogen while they were still in the uterus. The oestrogen level gradually decreases and then disappears. The vaginal discharge also disappears at the same time.

At Puberty : Excessive vaginal discharge may be seen in young girls at and around the time of puberty. This is because of the increasing levels of the hormones oestrogen and progesterone at this time. It usually decreases spontaneously as the menstrual cycle becomes established.

Oral Contraceptive Pills : The oestrogen and progesterone in the birth control pills stimulate the cervical glands, leading to an excessive vaginal discharge in some woemn.

What about premenopausal discharge

I had a discharge for 5 years with no answers from several doctors it took my husband to realize I wasn't drinking enough water so for the first time I finally feel clean. Believe it or not, you are what you eat/drink. No thanks to any of the doctors that I had seen.

How much water do you drink and how long until you noticed a difference??

I have a white thick clumpy discharge smells like glue and no itching,no redness and no any other symptoms..the doctor suggested me to use canditral 100mg for 1 day and metrogyl 400mg for 5 days..but i have the discharge yet..what it could be?

I have a thick discharge that look like cottage cheese and is on some medication given by a doctor after being raped to prevent me from geting Hiv.im almost done with the medication and only noted the change in my discharge two days ago .is it normal.my vigina is burning and itchy not all the time but at some times specialy after I cleaned my self

I have always had a white discharge, it looks more like lotion then anything. But it's also sometimes got like a yellow color to it, but not most times. Some times it is also so bad that it feels like I just wet myself. It's weird and hard to explain. I haven't gone to my doctor yet cuz I am kind of embarrassed to say it to her and I just got a new doctor as well. I just want to km ow if there it something I can do for it so it stops discharging so much.

A probiotic fixed this for me.