Hi there,

I wanted to ask about what is normal vaginal discharge and what is not because I don't really know anything about this and I am not sure if my vaginal discharge is okay. I mean, I didn't do anything to have problems and I never really had any problems before but I am curious, I want to know what is normal and what is not. I am 23 years old and I have a normal sex life with my boyfriend, nothing special really but not boring either. Is this too much info maybe, I just want to know about what I've asked.

Hey Guest,

Let's see, if your vaginal discharge is normal, its color can range from clear to milky white. If you ever notice that the color, smell, or consistency of your vaginal discharge has changed and it is weirdly unusual, then it is probably an alarm telling you to go and talk to your gynecologist, especially if you are feeling vaginal itching or burning alongside with this. All the different colors of your vaginal discharge have a different cause so if you are going to go and talk to your gynecologist, be sure to tell him the exact color of your vaginal discharge.

It's easy to differ a normal vaginal discharge from an abnormal one. White discharge which is kind of see through is the normal discharge and every other color is not normal and means that something bad might be going on. It shouldn't be smelly either, I mean, come on, you should know how your vaginal discharge usually looks like so it is very easy to notice if there is anything wrong with it. And at the first glance of an abnormal vaginal discharge, you should go and talk to your doctor or to your gynecologist, whoever you want, and get things checked out.

They are right, the easiest way to notice if your vaginal discharge is normal is to compare it to all the other vaginal discharges that you've had, I know that it should have like clear to milky color and that it shouldn't be smelly. If your vaginal discharge has changed its color or it became smelly, I think that you should visit your doctor because your genital organs are not something that you want to play with. I mean, if you are having any doubts about your health, you can always set up a meeting with your gynecologist and get things checked.

That is kind of why I was asking about this, my vaginal discharge has always looked like that, kind of milky but I have noticed the last time that it got a bit smelly, it is not too smelly but it is a bit, I cannot explain it better. I thought in the beginning that it is normal but then I realized that this was the first time that my vaginal discharge was smelly. I wasn't sure if that was good so I decided to ask here about it. Do you happen to know what might be causing my smelly vaginal discharge?

Hello. Some people are confusing normal and abnormal, I need to tell you that you should know that vaginal discharge can sometimes be cloudy, but that is normal. Also, discharge is something that is common to all ladies and this helps vaginas stay healthy by regularly flushing them out and maintaining the balance of healthy bacteria in the vagina. Discharge can vary from situation to situation, or from disease to disease. White, cloudy is normal, while other types of discharges can be a problem. I think that it is very easy to notice which discharge is normal and which is not.

I think that every girl knows what is normal discharge and what is not. Everyone learns it according to their own discharge. Anyway, normal discharge is usually clear or white in its color, and sometimes can look more yellowish, and it is usually when it dries. However, if it looks yellow, green, or gray it may be a sign that something is wrong so in this occasions you need to visit your gynecologist and talk to him about this, you should do some tests to see what is the cause of different discharge color. Usually, normal discharge doesn't have any type of smell at all.

Most of the time vaginal discharge is perfectly normal. Even if there is more to it, you should not be scared especially if you are about to get your period. But any change in the vagina's balance of normal bacteria can affect the smell, color, or discharge texture. Antibiotics, steroids, birth control pills, sexually transmitted diseases can affect your vaginal discharge. Here are some situations - when your discharge is yellow that can means that you have gonorrhea, white and cheesy can mean that you have yeast infection, etc..Observe it and if you notice any changes, visit your gynecologist.

You should ask yourself what happens when discharge is discolored and is it normal. Sometimes is and you don't need to be scared about this. On the other hand, green discharge, especially if it is frothy, can often be a sign of some infection that needs to be controlled. Discharge that has the consistency of cottage cheese, especially if accompanied by itching, is usually a sign of a yeast infection. When you have this annoying fishy odor, that can be a signal of a bacterial infection. Sometimes, vaginal discharge can be a sign of a pelvic infection. There are so many reasons in this case why do you need to visit your gynecologist. It is normal to observe your vaginal discharge and its color. Look at your panties every time.