Hi, my mother is 54 years old and she is suffering from diabetes. Last week she complained she felt numbness on the left side of her face. Soon after that palsy appeared and her doctor told her it is Bell's palsy. I would like to know if diabetes is linked to Bell's palsy.

Hi, I am suffering from diabetes more that 15 years. Diabetes is linked to the Bell's palsy and diabetes also causes other neuropathies. Blood vessels which are supplying nerves are affected with diabetes and it cause damaging of the facial nerve. Bell's palsy is palsy of facial nerve. I hope this info will help you.

Hallo,
As much as I know Bell's palsy is a disorder of the nerve that controls movement of the muscles in the face. If the nerve gets damaged you will have muscle weakness and paralysis of your facial muscles. There are several causes of Bell’s palsy but this condition is more common in adults and in people with diabetes. How old is your mother and how long does she have diabetes? The thing is that this condition often doesn’t need any treatment methods and in most cases this condition goes back to normal on its own. Has her doctor given her any medication to treat this problem of hers? I hope that this helped you a bit. Good luck.

I have had Diabetis in the summer of 2011.Its so well controlled my Drs told me im stunned as your H1ABC test every 3 months came in below 5.8,three times,non-Diabetic.I eat Salmon,from the cold waters of Alaska,and Rice,and Japanese Broccoli.And all healthy foods.

OH,I forgot to say i developed Bells Palsy only a mo0nth ago and seing Ears nose and Throat on my condition nas i was on Predinosone and a Herpes Med,for 10 days.I do still have the proplem,and just taking care of myself as best as i can. Jeffrey Tobias,Portland,Oregon December,2012.