Hello! My elder brother had a heart attack last week and he is still in hospital and is doing fine for now. I am very concerned over his health condition and I never thought something like this could happen for he is only 36 and never was seek before though the only problem he always has is obesity related. Anyway I am curious now what happens in a heart attack and how am I supposed to recognize it for I suspect he is at risk of some further heart attacks so I would like to hear what his chances of full recovery are and what really happens in a heart attack? Thanks!

If it was about severe heart attack than it may lead to some serious complications such as arrhythmias which is recognizable in abnormal heart rhythm but also it could cause heart failure as well as heart rupture and valve problems. Those are very serious complications but how much a heart muscle could be damaged depends mainly from the severity of heart attack and it could be determined with some ECG or troponin test which is kind of a cardiac marker. Anyway heart attack is not common only in elder people for it could also affect younger ones especially if their coronary arteries are damaged so the blood is not able to flow smoothly. Anyway I think the obesity of your brother is the main cause of his heart attack for it is more likely he has high triglycerides and cholesterol rates so it means basically it has accumulated on the coronary arteries walls making plaques which is a condition known as atherosclerosis which causes the artery to narrow stopping the blood to reach the heart and therefore heart stays out of oxygen and the result is heart attack. After each heart attack no matter how serious it is usually some heart muscle scar is being formed for the heart cells has died around this affected heart area and the risk of getting some further heart attack is always present.